The Sewing Place

About interfacing.

wrenkins

About interfacing.
« on: September 05, 2019, 14:08:31 PM »
I read here recently that interfacing isn't to stiffen fabric but I might want to do just that.
I'm going to make this top but in a sweatshirt fabric. They recommend medium weight wools, fleece, flannel with fusible interfacing. No weight given. (Is there more than one?).
If I use just run of the mill fusible interfacing will the collar support it's own weight?
Help! I'm clueless.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

Re: About interfacing.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 14:34:53 PM »
Have a read here to learn about the different types of interfacing and then go here to see the range of interfacing made by Pellon and here to see the range made by Vilene (Vliesline).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 14:43:35 PM »
Brilliant links thanks @BrendaP.
Cheers m'dear.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 14:52:05 PM »
@wrenkins  I hope it doesn't make your head spin :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 16:11:18 PM »
Did a bit.  :S

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 17:47:09 PM »
When I made this jacket I used fusible knit interfacing. https://www.sewessential.co.uk/vlieseline-vilene-fusible-woven-bi-stretch-interfacing-75cm-wide-white.

In fact I use this on everything now including wovens, as well as jersey.

Tip. When fusing interfacing on fleece, press on a thick folded towel to prevent flattening the pile
Procrastination get behind me

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 18:17:47 PM »
Thanks @Holly Berry. I have some cheapish textured jersey, not fleece. The towel tip will help. I was wondering how to get around flattening it.  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 08:48:58 AM »
You might be able to find a website that will send a sample pack of different interfacings.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »
Well turns out Marvo the Memory Woman ordered some for a project last week. I found it when I went looking for my hump jumper, didn't recognise it and had to look up the order.  :S Yes my memory is really that bad!
The new stuff I found is lightweight (as per the instructions on the pattern) and I have some ancient stuff from donkeys years ago (it's made of papyrus...it's that old  8)) which I'm guessing must be medium. I'll give it a rattle and see how I go.
The lightweight is very light and flimsy :S. It's for a huuuuge trouser high waistband so I suppose anything too stiff wouldn't work. Or something.  -<
Who knew there was a whole nuther rabbit hole to go down? :[

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
Like @HollyBerry I use fusible knit interfacing for almost everything now - bags being the exception (although I haven't made one for ages).

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
You don't have to use 'interfacing' for interfacing.  You can use a piece of other fabric like cotton or linen or self fabric.  You can interface one or both sides of a folded piece.  Try out a few samples and see what seems right.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »
OOoo I hadn't thought of that @Ploshkin. I know you can do that but it didn't occur to me.

I'm still very much 'following the rules' as laid out on the pattern. I haven't enough experience to go off piste although I do often find myself thinking off pistey thoughts like 'how hard is it to make that into a V neck'?!?!?!  :S I'd love to get to the stage where I can think 'I don't like that method, I'll use this one'.  :loveit:

I've never been taught and I have no-one to ask (apart from here of course) so I follow the destructions and hope for the best. :[

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
The destructions are always a good place to start  :)