The Sewing Place

Extreme FMQing

wrenkins

Extreme FMQing
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »
I put this on Zing and Bling but just in case you missed it...!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

mudcat

Re: Extreme FMQing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 18:01:35 PM »
I think it looks good.  I'm impressed.  I tried to FMQ once and it was a disaster. 

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46:35 AM »
This was one of my favourite quilts in FOQ 2018 .....

It was JO53, in Pictorial, Titled 'Layers of a Nightmare' and made by Sarah Dewhurst

It was incredibly detailed .....

It felt exactly like a nightmare ...

These are the words around the edge ... (yes really I wrote them down in my big red book)

Your anchor pulling you back through layers of hallucinating imagery atop of one another beneath the waking whirlwind and if I dare stop I will sink past it all again down to where he waits for me in the deepest of hypnos.
So now keep moving your finger, keep moving your finger, keep moving ....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
That's amazing.
I wouldn't know where to start.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:12:46 AM »
@wrenkins  not quite in the same league but look up Mctavishing, a close form of fmq done by Karen Mctavish
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:39:21 AM by Iminei »
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
I can imagine when you first start doing this on your sewing machine it would look orrible but the more you fill in the better it would  look.

I might have a try of this (One day and with my trusty WF)

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
Thanks for linking that Iminei.  Leah Day does a number of tutorials.
I'll have a play one day - it's just how I've always doodled anyway.  Thing is I don't like dense quilting on quilts so would never do anything like that unless I was doing something arty (which is not very likely).

KayK

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 22:14:36 PM »
@wrenkins  not quite in the same league but look up Mctavishing, a close form of fmq done by Karen Mctavish
I must have a go at this!  Ive been on holiday for a week and am desperate to get going again!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »
My first and only ever attempt at FMQ was last week-end and it was just too funny. I'd fancied it for my mug rug...but no.
Next day him indoors came in and said 'Oh wow. You did a rose'.  :o I had too!

Not on purpose though...

KayK

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 18:27:04 PM »
Had a go at it, and went a bit wandery - freestyle in the end!  I used a bog standard piece of calico, no stabiliser or batting as I couldn't be a***d, and some thread that was already in the machine.  The calico was quite a loose weave so the stitches were not particularly regular!

I watched the videos, and of course, it looks soooo easy!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 18:33:55 PM »
Bloody hell ... thats Brill!

Did you think it was 'orrible at the beginning but began to like it as it 'filled up' ????

Do you FMQ normally ???

I think everyone should have a lil go at this technique (whether you FMQ or use a WF) and post a pic to see what we could do ...

Anyone up for it?

KayK

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 18:42:54 PM »
It got better as it grew - I used an ordinary hand embroidery hoop (upside down if you get my meaning!) and it caught several times on the machine base as I hadn't used my 'slider' either (which happens to be a non stick oven mat!)

I'd happily give it another go, but would use the proper stuff next time!

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 21:45:30 PM »
I'd be up for it, I need to do a bit to find a technique that stops my machine skipping stitches.
@KayK that is really effective.

RJR_38

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 22:37:05 PM »
@KayK

Please don’t tell me that is your first attempt at FMQ as that is amazing if it is!! My first (and in fact first 10!) attempt were giant birds nests and eyelashes.

Marginally better now but certainly not that fancy yet!

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 07:32:10 AM »
If I thought it would turn out looking like that I'd give it a go .....but then...the 'rose'.  :S