The Sewing Place

Extreme FMQing

Sara-S

Re: Extreme FMQing
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 13:58:46 PM »
I'd be up for it, I need to do a bit to find a technique that stops my machine skipping stitches.
@KayK that is really effective.
OK, this may be too obvious but I’m going to ask it anyway. Have you replaced your needle?  A worn one can skip stitches.  Or does her machine skip even with a fresh needle?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

KayK

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 22:46:40 PM »
I've been at it again! McTavishing is fun, very relaxing (well, apart from the bobbin thread breaking and discovering my top thread had been tied at intervals!)  This time it was stitched on an old piece of satin backed crepe - goodness knows where that came from with a piece of batting in the middle.  I did use my non stick oven sheet under it this time and no hooping.  I also did it on my old Bernina, which putters away happily.

I decided to have a go at drawing first, but still couldn't stick to the design!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:44:02 AM »
@Sara-S  I never had a problem with skipped stitches on my Pfaff Ambition.  I changed it for a Pfaff Quilt Expression and now I have the issue which is intensely frustrating.   I've tried new needles, different threads, different foot pressures and heights and different feet. 
It only skips when I travel backwards and it seems (from googling) that this is not uncommon with FMQing in general.  I have just taken delivery of a straight stitch foot plate which is supposed to help.  The other tip I've seen is to not go backwards but stop and turn the work a bit and travel on a diagonal line instead.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Wow, Wow Wow ..... I must have a go at this

But first ......  :ninja:  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
I decided to have a go at drawing first, but still couldn't stick to the design!

Doesn’t matter. The stitched piece is wonderful. I want to have a go at this.

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:29:31 AM »
'Sticking to the design' is unimportant.  The act of doing it on paper is to help develop muscle memory so that when you stitch it will flow better.  Of course, your muscles don't develop a memory overnight.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 10:00:17 AM »
Im going to ... once I have a few things out of the way.

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
.... you are going to ditch that walking foot aren't you @Iminei

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
@wrenkins if you are feeling a bit daunted by all this extreme stuff this is what I did a couple of years back.  I wanted to have a go at fmq and started with a couple of practice sandwiches but soon got bored (that's why I never mastered the piano - I don't like practising, I just want to get on with it).  So I decided to do some for real and made a knitting bag with fmq on it.
One of the issues of FMQing on a large area is getting trapped in corners or ending up with an unbalanced design or just not knowing where to go next.  I divided my rectangle for the bag into narrow colums which I stitched with the normal foot.  I then repeated 2 designs and because of the restriction of the columns I had none of the above issues.  When I did the base circle I just marked a 3 line 'star' to keep my petals in the right place - that was the only marking I did.  I was very happy with the outcome but could have ditched it if it hadn't worked.  I actually found that more controlled stitching easier to start with than trying to free range.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 15:32:41 PM »
Here it is, warts and all.  This is what I've spent the last hour doing.  I seem to have resolved the stitch skipping with the straight stitch needle plate - that is the only thing different from previous attempts, it only skipped a stitch or two twice.
There is some seriously bad stitching here and also some pretty good stitching.  It is one continuous line of stitching, the thread shredded a couple of times so I just cut it and restarted.  I just carried on until the bobbin ran out.  I will resume tomorrow.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 13:12:33 PM »
Okay ... Here is mine ... Not exactly Mactavishing but ???

Linky

What have I learned ???

Draw a straight frame before you start .... Tho' I drew the I, I omitted a frame so it went off on the wonk. I found that stitches didnt skip, but maybe looped up on top a lil, which I remedied by pulling them back through from the underside with a pin.

As I said I drew the I but nothing else, so if I had a design drawn out / in my head I think it would be better.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:05:28 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 07:26:13 AM »
Did you use invisibly thread @Iminei   I can't see anything  :)

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »
Linky now added

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
That's lovely @Iminei   Did you go sans walking foot?

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 08:48:08 AM »
Did I hell !!!