The Sewing Place

Did I tell you about my funny wee cabinet?

wrenkins

Did I tell you about my funny wee cabinet?
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
A couple of months ago an odd wee hand made, cobbled together cabinet turned up in my auction with a stereo system in it. It had drawers for singles (or maybe CDs), a bit for LPs and a space in the middle for your groovy sound system.
That's not what I saw. I saw the stereo system in the bin, fat quarters in the lil drawers, patterns and/or quilting rulers in the LP bit and my overlocker in the space in the middle! Oh yes.  :loveit:
What I wasn't reckoning on was Peter.  :devil:
Peter wanted the sound system! What I couldn't get him to understand was that since we both wanted different bits, it was madness to bid against each other. Just buy it cheap and split the goodies! Simpoles! But oh no. Peter wanted to bid and so we did. I let him have it and was a bit sad.  :(
However...the minute the hammer went down I was on him like a rat up a drainpipe! Gimme that cabinet! No! Gimme it!  :angry:  NO!  0_0
He wanted too much for it but I knew what he'd paid!  :ninja:
This dance went on for weeeeks! Three weeks ago he came over and offered me 'last chance'. He was going to sell it the following week without fail! 'Oh no he wasn't' I thought so I let him sweat it out a bit. I also noticed that he had forgotten how much he'd asked me for it and had come down to what I was willing to pay.  0_0
The following week we 'stepped outside' and shook and the cabinet was mine!
He brought it on Wednesday and here it is. The likelihood is I'll chop it's legs off and put it on top of my bookcase.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

Re: Did I tell you about my funny wee cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
Oh wrenkins you do make me laugh, but seriously what a useful cupboard that is going to be - so well done on persevering with your haggling - now you can show him exactly what it is for!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 15:22:29 PM »
What an unusual cabinet.  It does look useful.  But what is that frilly wooden pelmet bit in the centre all about??

In my house it would need painting white though

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 15:26:22 PM »
What a cute cabinet and well done for spotting an alternative use for it.
I take it you are a regular at the local auction.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 15:47:53 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the frilly bit is hinged!  >< It looks like an awning to me  0_0 and white is a strong possibility!  :ninja:
@Sewingsue it's about half a mile away and is my favourite waste of time!   0_0
Him indoors has just called over. Oh how he laughed. He couldn't quite believe what he was seeing.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 18:37:51 PM »
Ha! @wrenkins . Well done on getting your cabinet in the end.

It is my husband who loves the auction. I dread it if he disappears on a Wednesday as I never know what he’ll come home with. I keep telling him we need to declutter and sell things at auction, but he always has some excuse. He claims to be going to buy garden equipment for son in law or old furniture for my sister to upcycle, but has somehow come home with all sorts of irresistible bargains:48 pieces of oven to tableware, a sideboard, a rocking chair, 2 sets of cutlery, art nouveau plates...... Lots of things get sold by me on EBay usually for a small profit.

However, he excelled himself last week and brought back a brand new large cutting mat, so couldn’t complain! :D

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 02:38:38 AM »
That is a fabulous little cabinet. I wouldn’t cut the legs off though, I’d put some storage baskets underneath.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
It's lil leggies are off and it is perched happily on top of the shelves. It looks great.
I did consider that option @Manuela but the shelves hold much more and my books were homeless.  :)