The Sewing Place

Does Elvis have a tension problem?

Iminei

Re: Does Elvis have a tension problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
So I've had a play and unfortunately Elvis has been very consistent ....

Each A was stitched with a different bobbin .... (ignore the stunted top A, I think that was because the top would have been too close to the frame ??)

Front

Back

All the bobbins are low on fill ... Would this make a difference?

Lords sewing blog suggest that the top thread showing through like this means the bobbin tension is too tight ??  But then they want me to adjust some screw on the bobbin case .. which Im very doubtful to do as I cant see that the case will easily come out of the body of the machine (AS the Splurgesses does) let alone finding a lil screwhole.

The letters dont look too bad from the front but are far too 'soft' .. ie a nail  lightly run up and down the letter parts the threads too easily (IMO)

Do you think I should just buy the bobbins prefilled ??? Where should I buy them from and are Brother bobbins worth the extra cost?
Please help ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
I wouldn’t mess with the bobbin tension on that machine.  Yes it could be the bobbin tension is too tight, or the top is too loose.  Changing bobbins doesn’t seem to make any difference and using pre wounds probably won’t either. 
What thread are you using top and bottom?  Make and type. 
BTW the top letter looks as though you may have had the machine too close to something at the back and the frame might have hit it.  Be careful this can damage the machine.  Check you have enough space all round. 
Try stripping the machine and re threading from scratch.  When it’s done, put the presser foot down and just tug the top thread.  It should have some resistance.  If it comes through easily you’ll know it’s the top.  Make sure it goes through all the relevant channels etc. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 14:36:40 PM »
@Iminei can't see your pics,

There are suggestions of where to buy bobbins earlier in this thread. 

And another vote for don't mess with your bobbin case tension!

Can you try stitching something other than the letters?  See how that comes out?

Celia

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 15:24:48 PM »
I can’t  see the pics either and I also vote for don’t mess with the tension.   It really is usual to see the top thread on the bottom and it is often not too regular in the amount showing, it depends on the amount of curve in the design.  That said all machines are different, I am a great believer in if the top looks good don’t worry about the bottom.

Do try different fonts as some are much more ‘soft’ than offers, its all to do with the way they are digitised and some work better on some fabrics that others.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 16:22:41 PM »

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 16:27:22 PM »
Yes ignore the top A ... I think it would have been too close to the frame.

I did the tug test and there was resistance when the presser foot was lowered and not when it was not.ice ???

Im going to buy some prefilled bobbins ... Did anyone say whether the brother bobbins were worth the premium price???

If its the same with a PFB, I either need to go to a service person (£££££) Or ?????

Celia

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 17:05:55 PM »
Yes that is too much thread on the bottom, it does look like the machine is not threading properly, make sure the top thread is in tension and also make sure the bottom bobbin is in correctly, sorry if this sounds silly but i cant tell you how many machines i have seen like this, check the thread is running off the bobbin the correct way for your machine, clockwise etc.

Could you try to wind your brother bobbins on your Janome, check that the bobbins fit on the spindle, if they do it might be worth trying if you are having trouble winding on the brother.

Can’t comment on the pre wounds as I don’t use them.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 17:44:20 PM »
check the thread is running off the bobbin the correct way for your machine, clockwise etc.

I thought bobbins ran anticlockwise ?? ... I think ... like The Splurgess ... Cant really explain it ...
Would it make a difference but still sew?

Celia

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 17:57:25 PM »
I have seen that cause a problem on some machines so it’s best to check.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 18:05:00 PM »
Yes it does make a difference.  But seriously, don’t waste money on pre wounds yet.  There is a problem with the tension. Yes you should see top thread on the bottom but about 1/3 of the thread should be top and 2/3 should be bobbin thread. 
The problem of the top A is not that it’s too near the top of the frame.  It wouldn’t sew if that was the case. I think the frame has hit something. 
If there is resistance on the top thread when the presser foot is down that’s good.  That shows it is under tension.
Good piccies here from Brother showing how your top loading bobbin should be put in.  Put your finger on  the top of the bobbin when you place  the thread in the tension spring.  You should feel a little click as it goes in. 

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 18:25:22 PM »
I shall check tomorrow ... Goodness me! Elvis has been out of his body bag 6 out of 7 days now!!!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 18:36:44 PM »
Try sewing one of the built in designs, to see how that is.

Also, when you change your thread, cut it off up near the spool, and pull the cut off end down through the needle rather than pulling back up to the spool.  Apparently embroidery machine and threads don't like it being pulled backwards through the threading path.

Sara-S

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 02:08:53 AM »
Did you change the type of thread you were using?And are the bobbin thread and top thread of the same type?  :thread:
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 08:34:50 AM »
Thread is the same bobbin thread as before ... and Im using Madeira Embroidery threads (rayon)

I'll wheel him out again today and see if I can get things any better :(

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »
There are four different thicknesses of Madeira rayon embroidery thread; 12, 30, 40 and 60
http://www.madeira.co.uk/threads/rayon-viscose-classic/
Changing from one to another would require a change to the tension settings.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.