The Sewing Place

Does Elvis have a tension problem?

Celia

Re: Does Elvis have a tension problem?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
I think all your Madeira threads from your box with the possible exception of the metalic is will use the same tension
@Iminei

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »
If all the threads in the box are tha same size they will use the same tension, if they are different the top tension will pobably need adjusting.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
If all the threads in the box are tha same size they will use the same tension, if they are different the top tension will pobably need adjusting.

Of course Brenda is correct, I am just saying that Imi's box is all the same size thread but sometimes the metallics behave differently.

Hope today goes better

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 11:25:44 AM »
Oh @Iminei I’m sorry I forgot to put the link about the bobbin threading.   :|. Honestly if I had brains I’d be dangerous.  Anyway this is from Brother themselves and clearly shows how it should go in.  You are using bobbin thread in the bobbin I take it?   

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=hf_inov350seeuk&faqid=faqh00000002_000

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Yes thats how I've been threading all my bobbins .. anticlockwise.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
Today I have done things that no technodunce should be asked to do ... By which I mean, I have fiddled with the bobbin tension of Elvis!!!

First up, after bringing him downstairs I read through the manual and following the destructions to a tee I wound an empty bobbin with bobbin fill ... It came out fine ... unlike the first time I ever wound a bobbin on him!!!

Then, my hands shaking slightly, again following the destructions in the manual, I removed the Embroidery unit and slipped off the needle plate cover  ... Phew, luckily that came off very easily!

I then with a bigger tremble in my fingers, removed the bobbin, first noting the white marks on both case and race and where they lined up.

Surprisingly there wasnt much debris in the race but I cleaned out what I could find and then, hoping to God I had remembered things correctly reassembled the machine.

I threaded my brand new bobbin, threaded a top thread in Green ( @Lowena ) chose the letter A from the onboard fonts, hooped up some fabric and pressed PLAY.

Time for the big reveal ... No Change ...  ><

Ok when the presser foot is up .. the thread pulls easily through the needle, with the presser foot down, there is resistance ...so I can only assume the top tension is good ... so it must be the bottom tension ...

I dissemble the machine again, check in the manual for a fifth time on what to do and find myself holding the bobbin case in one hand and a teeny tiny screwdriver in the other ..... The clock ticks loudly as I gently turn the screw anticlockwise (and there was a convenient picture just to show me which way that goes) 30-40 degrees (?) ...
I turn the screw a tiny smidge, hoping the bead of sweat that has just rolled off my nose will miss Elvis' innards (It did).

Ok done! Now instead of being a horizontal line (I had noticed that before starting) it was pointing to the 8 on a clock.

I reassembled, re-threaded the bobbin, re-threaded the top thread, choose my letter A, adjusted the placement in the hoop and pressed PLAY again.

Elvis did his stuff, its a good job that the letter A is a quick stitch ....
After he was done I looked at the back ... the same :(

I repeated the above, turning the screw a lil more each time,  adjusting the placement in the hoop a lil each time (I was getting very good at this) and it wasnt until the 3rd letter a faint line of white could be seen down the legs of the letter.

And so it went!

By the time I came to the sixth stitch (the screw was pointing to 4  on the clock) ... I went through the process of putting him back together, re-threading, re-siting the design and after a few seconds of stitching I stopped the machine ... I had gone waaay, waaay too far and there was a lot of bobbin thread  on the top ...

Ok at least I knew there was a way too far ...

I repeated dissembling Elvis, removing the needle plate cover, hoiking out the bobbin and turned the screw BACK  to the 6 O'clock position .... put him back together and stitched.

To fit the A into my now crowded hoop I turned the A upside down and stopped him before he finished.

Yes there is a lot of green on the reverse BUT you can see a thin white line and on the top the stitch is fine.... and as the good bods at Lords Sewing say ... If it aint broke dont fix it, ie if the top stitch is good enough leave it as is.

The only other thing it could be is debris within the tension plates but that require a  fairy sized philips screwdriver so for the present Im leaving him as is ... I might think of buying a new bobbin case, it would be good to have a spare ... but at the moment he is merrily stitching out a design as we speak ... I hope its  ok.***

Because Im a nice kind of girl, I wont bore you with interminable picture of Stitched A's BUT if you are interested you can see them in this album

*** Nope, still loads of top thread on the bottom, but the top looks good ... Pics at the end of the album.

BrendaP

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 13:25:11 PM »
You don't have to disassemble tension discs to get out any debris between them; just 'floss' (the way you might floss between your teeth) with a strip of cotton fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 13:27:25 PM »
Oooohhh that is luuuuvely!  :loveit:
tension schmension!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 15:50:14 PM »
You don't have to disassemble tension discs to get out any debris between them; just 'floss' (the way you might floss between your teeth) with a strip of cotton fabric.

That would be for the top tension ... My worry about heading that way is A) finding the fairy sized Phillips screwdriver and B) Removing the plastic housing without breaking it!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 16:57:21 PM »
I think your last stitch out of the illuminated letter is fine, it's very narrow stitching so it's just as I would expect on the reverse.  I'm still going to nag you to try another design that's a more solid shape and see how that is  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 17:24:33 PM »
Where does this A design come from?   
I would suggest like @Bodgeitandscarper sewing out a design that is actually on the machine itself. 
If you plan to try and clean out the tension discs, make sure you use bias binding.  That way you can’t put any little pieces of lint back in.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 05:18:57 AM »
The A was the first letter of one of the chunky on board fonts ... on the machine itself.

What should I be trying? A Spray of Roses, to put on a nice green blouse ( @Lowena  ) ???

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »
Oh Gawd.... you've descended into the Hades otherwise known as the twin towers of.... EWM and Bon Marche....... I knew it'd happen eventually @Iminei  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
@Iminei look for a design that isn't just thin lines of stitching, and has more solid chunks of stitching, then see how much the top thread shows on the back. 

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »
But the A was a chunky monkey ??!!!