The Sewing Place

Ahem ...

Iminei

Ahem ...
« on: September 07, 2019, 14:14:29 PM »
Ahem, Ive sidled into the Lightside for a lil advice ... not about garment sewing, goodness me no ... but about a garment to be fair ..

You see after my Hop treatment I found myself in a Next asking a very pretty young thing with eyebrows like caterpillars if they had any .. ahem ... dungarees ??

To my shock they did and she presented me with a fair approximation of the dungarees I lived in during my mid to late teens ...
I was delighted and scurried into a changing room to find out if any of the sizes she gave me would actually fit!!

And one pair did!!! I was gobsmacked ...
This is such a rare occurrence, nay a rarity amongst rarities ... a perfect storm of rarities ..

A) I actually entered a clothes shop that was not of the charity variety
B) That they had something I liked in a size that might fit
C) That it actually did fit
and lastly
D) that I purchased said item (Gift card, Chrimbo pressie from a handful of years ago or more)

And do you know what I did?? I actually bought them .. from new!!!!

So I've got them home and there is only one thing I really, really want ... I want them to be lighter!
They are a very dark denim and I really like the lighter, well worn colour better.

Have you any tricks and tips on how to get that 3 years of wear colour from a very dark item in a few days weeks ????????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Surest1tch

Re: Ahem ...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 15:36:08 PM »
Spot of bleach or peroxide in the washing machine?

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 16:34:27 PM »
Okay while I was waiting I hit it on a hot wash with a couple of tea towels ...

It pinged and as I hoisted it out , I thought Nah! no difference ... however the tea towels are distinctly BLUE!
(no matter they are old gash towels, just happened to be waiting to be washed)

Onwards ...

I hope it still fits me tho' ... tho' pretty lil thing with caterpillars assured me they would exchange/refund if it shrank!

I will try the predye thing tho ... thx Fran!

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 22:28:34 PM »
Hope you get the effect you want Im. Encouragement: Just this week I dyed a jacket that was due for the bin - it being the colour beige - a colour to which I am visually allergic and having bought the jacket after a boozy lunch and being seduced by the pretty shiny beads on the back. Anyway I stuffed it in the machine with a packet of foolproof navy dye and it's come out totally luscious - I love it. So do your thing with the dungarees !
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 04:53:17 AM »
Thx for writing @Catllar  ..

Nah! It dried a dark, but not as dark blue, I threw it on the trunk at the bottom of my bed and Iv'e not touched it since! I think I'm feeling a bit guilty about buying it now ... my only excuse was that I was pumped full of drugs during my hospital treatment that morning!  :S

I have in the past often bought things, completely ignored them, rediscovered them and then wear them to death thereafter ... I think a lil part of me is wondering whether Ill look like mutton dressed as lamb wearing it ... after all I was in my mid to  late teens the last time I wore such things ... and you can wear practically anything at that age and get away with it!

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
I have in the past often bought things, completely ignored them, rediscovered them and then wear them to death thereafter ... I think a lil part of me is wondering whether Ill look like mutton dressed as lamb wearing it ... after all I was in my mid to  late teens the last time I wore such things ... and you can wear practically anything at that age and get away with it!

If Emma Thompson can wear hem, you can @Iminei. I have two pairs, mainly worn on school field trips or on the motor bike.

Fashion for all ages - dungarees

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:04:29 PM by Manuela »

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
To be fair... ET looks dreadful in them.... real mdal
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 12:08:57 PM »
They look very odd with a tailored white jacket...

Imi, just get yours on and wear and wash and wear and wash, they'll soon fade :D

Edit:  - this thread is not good without pictures...  :P  Gerr'em on and start snapping @Iminei
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:11:06 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »
I'm a big believer in wearing whatever you want to wear, regardless of age, size or owt else.

Just wear them @Iminei. Why not wash them every time you put a load on, they'll soon fade  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I'm a big believer in wearing whatever you want to wear, regardless of age, size or owt else.

Exactly. If someone doesn’t like what I’m wearing, they don’t have to look.

jintie

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 17:13:35 PM »
I was walkng along the street with Manuela in Bristol, and a young man ran alongside, and told her how wonderful she looked.
Imi, you have the figure to wear what you want, so go for it.
Rottweiler with scissors