The Sewing Place

What you see in a pub

Deafoldbat

What you see in a pub
« on: September 08, 2019, 22:49:09 PM »
In Norfolk for a weekend with some of DH's friends. Seem to have spent most of the time on heritage railways... In Sheringham today we had a pub lunch, and on the window sills were very vintage sewing machines. I had to go and look at them very carefully. I did wonder if  I should make an offer for one of them (not that they were for sale) at which point DH hustled me off the premises. If you're local, take a look in the Robin Hood on Station Road.

BrendaP

Re: What you see in a pub
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »
There are three  :vintage: SIngers on the window sill of The Horseshoe and Castle in Cooling, Kent.  I always look at them if we go there but I've always held back from trying them to see if the handle will turn!  As VSMs go they aren't that special.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »
There is a clothes shop in Bath that has two large windows with shelves filled from top to bottom with vintage sewing machines, mostly Singers. They have been there about 3 years and could do with a dust but it's a really nice display. I did take a photo of them but I don't know how to get it from the phone to here.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
I can email myself from the phone, then put the picture on the desktop and play around with it.  Messy but it works.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 13:30:54 PM »
There is a clothes shop in Bath that has two large windows with shelves filled from top to bottom with vintage sewing machines,

Is it an All Saints shop?  Thee's one of those in Bluewater with a similar display.  AFAIK they have all been damaged vandalised so that they don't sew any more. :'(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 13:44:49 PM »
Yes @BrendaP it could well be. It's a while since I have been able to get into Bath and I don't remember. The outside is painted dark blue. I don't know if they have been vandalised though. I couldn't see any damage but I didn't go into the shop for closer inspection.

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 15:30:04 PM »
I've seen a few of those shops with whole window displays of sewing machines.  I think DH took a photo of me outside one somewhere.  We also have a coffee shop in town which has a few different machines around the place (converted pub) - and some of the tables are also old treadle tables.   I suppose it's a reasonable use of old machines but I always feel a bit sad when I see them.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 19:35:03 PM »
I did restrain the impulse to turn the handles...
There was a cat-back F&R, an early Singer, and a Wilcox, all I should think around 1870-1890, (now that I'm home and can look things up easier) and a couple of others that I couldn't see a name on.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 20:27:47 PM »
My boss, who's German, doesn't believe in pension funds and invests instead in holiday flats in Lisbon.  She showed me pictures of one of her flats once and it had decorative alcoves in which she'd positioned vintage sewing machines, which you can pick up for hardly any money in the local flea markets.  It pained me that she'd screwed them down rather than done them up :'(

Lisbon, I should add, had an earthquake in 1755 that caused a 6-foot tsunami on the north east coast of Scotland.  I suppose you pays your money and you takes your chance!