The Sewing Place

Cleaning metal bits

Ploshkin

Cleaning metal bits
« on: September 09, 2019, 15:29:42 PM »
I posted a picture of this on another thread when I first rediscovered it.  It is my first sewing machine, dated about 1956.
I put copious amounts of sewing machine oil on it and the mechanism is now working smoothly and the surface dust and gunge has cleaned off.  I have decided that I won't attempt to thread and stitch with it because I don't want to risk breaking the tiny needle which I would imagine would be impossible to replace.
I just want to clean up the bare metal bits which have a bit of surface rust.  I am currently using sewing machine oil and very fine grade (000) steel wool.  Is this the best thing to use or is there something better.
I don't actually know to what extent it is possible to clean it so I don't know what I am aiming for.  I don't mind how long it takes but don't want to be trying to improve something that's as good as it is going to get.
I would be grateful for advice.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

LeilaMay

Re: Cleaning metal bits
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 16:19:13 PM »

Roger

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 18:03:27 PM »
I’m a big fan of autosol too. It’s gently abrasive like a creme cleaner. Gets metal looking amazing tho!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 18:33:30 PM »
I've used Autosol too, along with steel wool.

I think a lot of these machines were chrome plated, and if that has rusted away, you won't get it super shiney. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 20:26:49 PM »
I'll give the Autosol a go, thanks.  It's improved greatly just with steel wool and oil.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:19:00 AM »
Another vote for Autosol here. Used to use it on my bike rims and still use it on whatever needs it. My 28k was the last job and it came up a treat.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

mums sewing machine

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 15:16:35 PM »
Oh I love this forum!
Just been and bought some Autosol - fingers crossed!
Thanks for the recommendation x
No such thing as too much fabric