The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle contest voting thread

Manuela

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle contest voting thread
« on: September 10, 2019, 00:15:03 AM »
#1 Sakar’s entry

I have taken some old denim from DH...
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

... and made a nice cover for my new sewing stool and...

... a little bag for all the medicaments and first aid kit for our holidays  :)

And for little things I could preserve all the pockets with velcro tape,...

... and even the front zipper got a red lining  :D

#2 SewRuthieSews’ entry

SewRuthieSews Entry for Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle contest 01.09. - 30.09.2019 - Sofa Throw to Coatigan Refashion

I had bought a sofa throw from Dunelm last year. Its basically a small knitted blanket (130cm x 180cm) from very chunky acrylic yarn.
(Here's the sofa throw spread out on the table).

I thought it would make a good cardigan/coatigan, so cut it out making use of the prefinished edges and the cables as much as I could.

The fronts are cut from the side and bottom of the throw using 2 finished edges. The collar is joined onto the front, and has a seam at the back neck.
The back is cut from the other end (so the cables run the other way). One sleeve is cut from each end, so one has the cable running the opposite way.

I don't knit so this is a way to get something which looks knitted by using a throw (or sweater knit yardage).
I've used this approach before but have to say this was the hardest to sew, rather like sewing purple marshmallow worms. It was very thick, the loops got caught on the presser foot and I had to be constantly vigilant to ensure I'd caught all the cut ends in.
I had a much wider seam allowance than usual, sewing first on the sewing machine with a lengthened stitch and then on the overlocker to secure everything.
The overlocker catchment bag is full of purple marshmallow worm casts and bits are in several places around the house.

Once I tried it on, I then wore it for the rest of the evening, I love the final result, it is very warm and snuggly. Perhaps not all that surprising given its basically made from a blanket!

Note re pattern - I don't really have a proper pattern for this, but its based on this Prima Pattern from November 2010. You could probably find something similar in Big4/Burda. Basically the front band is attached to the front and also forms the collar.

Mine is longer then the pattern here and less of a swing shape.

#3 Mick's entry

OK, a bit late to the party here, but I started a completely different project for the competition, and that went very, very wrong. My fault for choosing a raw material that was just too difficult for someone of my modest ability to work with.
So this was a bit of a last minute rush.

Raw material
DW gets these smocks issued by the place where she works.
She gets a new one every year, and they don't want the old ones back.

The project.
I've had this hat for ages. It's comfy and fits well, but it's falling to pieces.
[/url]

So
Made the hat into a hat pattern.

And used the hat pattern to make a hat.
Sounds easy when you say it quickly...

I re-used the plastic peak stiffener, and the velcro strips from the original hat. The inner band came from the bits-and-bobs-box.
Bought the coverable button for the top, and the patch came free with a Bike magazine, some time in the 1980's. It's been on at least one denim jacket and a couple of pairs of jeans since, but is still in good nick, considering.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:16:45 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle contest voting thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
Voting has started  :D

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »
I want that stool.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
I always vote but I think all three entries should be classed as Winners. I couldn't pick one over another as I rate all three as excellent so am going to decline voting on this occasion.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Please don’t @Lizzy777, a lot of work from our members goes into the contests and I try to get as many people as possible to vote. Where is the fun when a trend of ‘declining to vote’ is started  :'(

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
I've voted. They're all great but one was exceptional in my eyes
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lizzy777

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Please don’t @Lizzy777, a lot of work from our members goes into the contests and I try to get as many people as possible to vote. Where is the fun when a trend of ‘declining to vote’ is started  :'(

I know. I agree and I have voted every time but there are just three entries. So different and I just feel that all three are equally winners.  I've never felt that before in any of the competitions before. Dunno what to do tbh?

Anyhow, this thread isn't about me it's about the three fantastic entries.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:03:49 PM by Lizzy777 »

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
There are a lot of different reasons for voting in any of our contests.  You might go for the one you think is nicest to look at, or you would most like to own, the one that you feel shows the greatest skill and/or precision, the one you would be least able to make yourself, the one you would most like to be able to make - the list is endless.

For me, if I can't decide on other grounds, I usually stick with the one I would most like to own.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
If I'm stuck I vote along the lines of ice dance.
Compulsory elements,  Technical ability,  Artistic content!
Also if I like it, would use it, wish I'd thought of it.....etc.
It's really really difficult.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 15:10:49 PM »
I know. I agree and I have voted every time but there are just three entries. So different and I just feel that all three are equally winners.  I've never felt that before in any of the competitions before. Dunno what to do tbh?

Anyhow, this thread isn't about me it's about the three fantastic entries.

@Lizzy777  Said in a broad Yiddish Accent (which I am well qualified and able to do)

So Vote already!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

indigotiger

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 17:07:01 PM »
It was sooo difficult to choose, as each entrant really did so well at both the spirit of the requirements, and in sewing something that would give their reused material a useful second life. (I wish I had managed to complete my own entry, which is still sitting in pieces on the UFO shelf.)
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 20:33:34 PM »
I like recycling and often do it, but all 3 entries are way better than I could manage, and all show great imagination. I like them all but they're so different I'm voting for the one I wish I'd thought of. Really need to have a 3 way tie  :)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 20:56:53 PM »
Some exceptional work here but I voted for the project that I thought showed the most ingenuity. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 13:07:07 PM »
Is voting still open? How do we vote?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.