The Sewing Place

Do you name your sewing machines?

Sara-S

Do you name your sewing machines?
« on: September 10, 2019, 14:17:14 PM »
Just about everything at our house gets a name...the vacuum cleaner ( a Hoover named Herbert) , the Jeep (Trevor-don’t ask why; my husband picked that one) and of course, the sewing machines.

Mine are;
1)The Janome- Naomi, after a cousin
2) The Singer- Beverly, after Beverly Sills, the opera singer (who was originally a Silverman, as am I)
3)The Brother- being an oversized machine, I named it Orwell.

What are your machines named and why?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

HenriettaMaria

Re: Do you name your sewing machines?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 15:48:06 PM »
Nope - it never occurred to me.  The only inanimate object in our house that has a name is a Numatic 'George' wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner, which is called George since it's emblazoned on the motor unit.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 16:22:06 PM »
Machine no but my dress form is called Gussie, as in gussie yourself up  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 16:57:17 PM »
Not my sewing machines, but I do name my bikes - Minnie, Rosie, Pippy, Trinny, Pearl and Ellie  0_0  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 17:46:50 PM »
Ive only named my last two ... because I loved them ...

The Splurge (Janome Atelier5) because it cost a lot of money even secondhand (well for me at least) and The Splurgess (Janome Atelier 7) because it cost even more money (if bought new, in fact it was cheaper for me, secondhand, than The Splurge!!! :)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 18:22:35 PM »
What about Elvis? You forgot him.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 18:29:14 PM »
Indeedy I did ... Thank you @Puzzler  ... Elvis ... my Brother Innovis 750E ...
as in Elvis is in the building ... and the body bag  (Im sure some peeps were working on that one, at one time  !?!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 18:30:09 PM »
@Iminei I was about to ask about Elvis too.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 18:36:35 PM »
No, I haven't named any of my machines. The only thing that got named in this house was my robotic vacuum cleaner - and he's Neville - no idea why. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 18:43:00 PM »
No... nothing in the house has a name.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 21:21:18 PM »
I have various names for them when they misbehave! 
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 21:38:46 PM »
Yes - see my signature.  And the dress form is Aggie, who is currently weary my painting apron ><
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 22:20:55 PM »
No, I haven't named any of my machines. The only thing that got named in this house was my robotic vacuum cleaner - and he's Neville - no idea why. :S
I have one of those too. Her name is Rosie.

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 23:01:08 PM »
Some, but not all of my machines, have names.

My Janome 6500P is usually referred to a s "Big Girl", mostly because I had a smaller Janome that I referred to as "Little Girl"

My Janome 744D overlocker, that has a twisted frame, and vibrates itself and other machines off the desk, is known as Moira.  That is my mothers name, and is because the machine is an anti-social old cow, who alienates everyone around her.   She's also very loud. 

My other modern machines haven't earned names yet, and my dress form is too new to know what her name is.

One of my treadles is known as "The Great Pretender", as its a modern treadle that I was duped into thinking was a vintage. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 23:06:26 PM »
I only have a name for my featherweight Valentine because it was born on February 14th  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)