The Sewing Place

Do you use your decorative stitches?

mudcat

Re: Do you use your decorative stitches?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 16:21:44 PM »
I will add that I do use the utility stitches.  Primarily the seam/overcast and the blanket stitch.  I have one stitch that does a wavy S shape that's fairly long and tend to use that when I quilt diagonally because then I don't have to concern myself with trying to obtain perfectly straight grids. 

I have found the seam/overcast on my Viking #1 is more secure than the one from the serger.

Roger

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 00:17:36 AM »
I use the 500a for decorative stitching sometimes, it has a load of built in stitches and the cams which are nice too, but I don't use them often.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 01:41:26 AM »
I've only used the decorative stitches for crazy quilting - something that I want to do more of.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Celia

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
I've only used the decorative stitches for crazy quilting - something that I want to do more of.
@MitchOfTheNorth
Thank you for this suggestion
Yes that is a thought, I have done that in the past and I would like to do more, I did also do some heirloom stitches to decorate the fabric once, the only trouble is some of them take a long time to do if the item is too big.

Sara-S

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 23:34:01 PM »
My Brother machine does a bunch of decorative stitches as well as some basic lettering. So I will sometimes bracket lettering with these.  E.g.  <3 name  <3
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 04:30:07 AM »
I could sell this one  but that leaves me without a good large size alphabet and here the question starts again which machine???

The largest font on a regular sewing machine, at least on the Janomes (that I know of) is 9mm ... hardly billboard lettering but then I got Elvis to help me out if I want anything larger ...

The Splurges largest lettering (9mm)

Elvis's (not largest but you can work out the difference from the scale of the Blanket stitch)

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

mums sewing machine

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:38 AM »
I haven’t made anything like full use of the decorative stitches, but I do use them when I patch jeans  and things. I’m a fan of visible mending, so if I can use a decorative stitch as well then I’m happy  0_0
No such thing as too much fabric

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
I use some of the decorative stitches, most specifically the sine wave one - handy for household things.  Most of the rest are a bit meh.  The lettering isn't all that - looks very like the first of Iminei's examples.  Instead, if I have to put a name on the inside of a garment, something I do if I'm making for re-enactors, I use the free motion option and 'handwrite' it.

BlueCat

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 13:37:40 PM »
I use a lot of the decorative stitches on my Janome 8900, mainly in metallic threads, to add texture and variety to the ‘panels’ I make.
A small section is shown on my avatar.
Edit...sorry avatar not showing much detail