The Sewing Place

Do I really need a back up sewing machine?

Vezelay

Do I really need a back up sewing machine?
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »
Lidl sewing machine €99 is in store next Thursday and I'm tempted. I still have the 25 year old Singer that I replaced with a Janome 5 years ago but I never get it out because it's so basic in comparison - 4 stitches, 4 step buttonhole. However it worked fine last time I used it.

So that got me thinking - do I need a back up machine at all? After all if my Janome broke down, I could get it fixed pretty quickly, and it's very rare that a sewing project of mine has a deadline. The Lidl sounds like a bargain and I've already recommended it to someone who wanted a cheap machine for basic alterations, but would it actually be useful?

If you're a hobbyist sewer like me what exactly do you use your back up machine(s) for? Am I missing a trick here?

Lowena

Re: Do I really need a back up sewing machine?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »
No you don't need one. However, if you like it and think it might be useful, go for it  :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »
Which machine is it @Vezelay?

Not sure which Janome you have, (I love mine btw), but I'd say have one, as for one thing repairs and servicing are quite costly these days and you'd probably spend 3/4 of your outlay for a 2nd machine on a simple repair. There are some good basic Janome's around and your present feet/bobbins would fit if you got the same brand.

Why don't you get the old one out and see if it still works, if you still like sewing with it, then think about replacing it? Think about a small one that will sit in a cupboard and not take up much space.

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

datcat23

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
I would think, that a back up machine is only useful in a small number of situations.  If you sew for a business, then obviously being without a machine for any length of time, however short, is not feasible.  Or, if you attend classes or retreats very regularly, then a smaller machine for travelling, would be useful.  Beyond that, I just can't see the point.

I had a Janome 2010 for quite some time, until a Janome 6500P came into my life.  For over 2 years, the small machine sat unused in my cupboard, because the big one is so reliable.  I decided at the end of last year, that it was a waste.  A good friend had a plastic'ey, very unreliable Brother sewing machine, and she was struggling with her sewing, mostly because of how terrible the darn machine was.  I quietly gifted the machine to her, so that she can feel more successful with her sewing, and I haven't regretted it since. 

That said, I do have another small machine, that I have used in the lounge (in front of the telly), although it isn't really a "back up machine".  Its my Featherweight 222, that I recently had serviced.  Sewing on it is more for fun that necessity, but it doesn't really back up my big modern machine.   
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 17:39:21 PM »
I think it really depends how much you sew.  I originally bought one when I was making  nearly all of my clothes in the early/mid 2000s.  I had to take my Viking in for service and because the work was done at a different place than where I took it the turnaround was three weeks and that was too long for me at the time.  Now that I am sewing less these days it's not really something i need so much anymore but it was relatively inexpensive so I see no reason to get rid of it since I have the space.  At the point we decide to make our move to another state I may reconsider.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 18:00:24 PM »
If you already have a back up in the form of the 25 year old Singer then save your money and put it towards an overlocker.  That will be so much more useful than multiple regular machines.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 19:08:04 PM »
I bought a backup machine which I never use. I plan to give it to DS's GF when they move to a bigger place. As @BrendaP says an overlocker is really useful.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 20:29:04 PM »
@Helen M it's this one - I believe it's a Singer Tradition 2282 and is apparently a decent machine for the price. My Janome is the DXL603. I should probably get my old Singer out as you suggest.

@datcat23 good point about classes. I do go from time to time if I've a new challenge I want help with. However, I believe the Lidl machine is 7kg while my Janome is 7.8 so not much in it really.

@mudcat I have the space too which is probably why my old machine is still there gathering dust (on the cover of course :)).

@BrendaP and @Tamnymore I have an overlocker and a coverstitch machine already. Guess Im just being greedy  ;)

When I think about it, until I saw the Lidl advert It didn't occur to me that I needed a "better" back up machine so @Lowena hit the nail on the head right off - I don't need one!. As long as I stay away from Lidl on Thursday I should be fine...

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 14:47:01 PM »
In your circumstances where waiting a week or two for a machine repair might be an annoyance but wouldn't be a significant problem, I'd say it's not worth it even at £99 (perhaps especially at £99) unless:
  • it has a useful feature/stitch/facility that your main machine doesn't have and which you've occasionally wished it did,
  • it handles heavyweight or lightweight fabrics better than your machine,
  • it is lighter and more transportable than your machine.

If it doesn't bring something extra that your machine doesn't have or isn't a significantly higher quality used machine than your current machine then it's just going to sit there and not be used which, if it's a computerised machine, may prove to be problem if you haven't used it for a year or so when you eventually come to need it. In the case of the used high quality machine, however, you may well find that your main machine soon becomes your backup machine.   0_0

If you don't already have an overlocker, buying one (as BrendaP suggests) is a really practical idea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 14:50:01 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 18:38:53 PM »
All good points @Marniesews, it'll just sit there as my machine has similar features. I already have all the machines I need (for now) so that's me decided then  :).

What I should do is sell or give away the extraneous unused stuff in this house, not buy more!

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 01:35:31 AM »
What I should do is sell or give away the extraneous unused stuff in this house, not buy more!

Oh boy, now that's something to aspire to! Good luck with that.  ;) :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:03:36 AM »
All good points @Marniesews, it'll just sit there as my machine has similar features. I already have all the machines I need (for now) so that's me decided then  :).

That is what I am trying to do, yesterday I managed to give away a food processor and a Vacuum cleaner to a young granddaughter of a friend as she is buying her first house.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:05:27 AM by Celia »

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 17:15:37 PM »
Hah! I've got one....it's my old Singer. I finally fished it out to repair the seam on an old jersey top that was originally sewn on it. I had to refer to the manual and locate the feet and bobbins which are a different spec to my Janome but then it did the job beautifully. It's a sturdy machine too. Makes me wonder why I replaced it. True it only has 5 different stitches and no automatic needle threader, needle up/down or speed dial but I could probably live with that. Not sure I could live with the 4 step buttonhole though. :S

Anyway now I intend to resurrect my "new" back up machine for projects that need a change of thread colour.  :)