The Sewing Place

Do you name your sewing machines?

Gernella

Re: Do you name your sewing machines?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Sorry, don't have names at all, just Pfaffs and Bernine etc., never had names for cars either (before it was his and his). Sometimes I call the big Dyson  Big Bertha or similar.

Even the poor new kitty gets called sometimes, the last kitty's name or even the one before that.  The  old lady cat from my stepfather sometimes even gets called Gernella because she is dark tortoiseshell and Gernella was a very dark apple face Seal Point Siamese.

Probably all down to my age.  Would love to see the look on DH's face if I called him something else.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 02:15:04 AM »
Mine are:
Esmeralda the Pink - a John Lewis branded Janome
Bellatrix - a 1948 Singer 201K
Bella - a 1955 Singer 222K (repainted pink)
Trixie - 1954 Singer 221K
Isabella - a 1974 Singer 338K
Luella - a 1964 Singer 221K in white (she’s in line to be repainted to her original splendour in November)
Arabella - a 1925 Singer 99K (handcrank)
So, I just fessed up to having 7 sewing machines, 3 in Thailand and 4 in Hong Kong....

Oh, my dressform is called Clothilde   :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:17:20 AM by Manuela »

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 23:35:16 PM »
None of my current machines have a name really. I have 3 dressforms at home and although the first one was given a name by my DGD none of us can remember what it was now.

However, I recently bought an old mannequin and recovered her for my daughter to use for rhinestoning the dance dresses and she was instantly christened with no chance of forgetting. Dear old Tattiefaloll - a name my mum always used for anyone turning up to an event over-dressed or dripping in jewellery. I've no idea of the spelling but it seemed very appropriate for the purpose and makes my daughter & I smile in remembrance every time the name is used.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:44:42 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 15:41:49 PM »
Yep!!
Edie the Singer 99k, named after my Nan who bought it as a wedding present for her daughter, my mum.
Olive the Elna, named after one of (the real) Edie’s sisters
The Brother doesn’t have a name (apt as my real brother and I don’t speak!!)
And my overlocker is known as The Bomb, which was a name given to any piece of scary noisy equipment by my mum. It’s what she called the ancient pressure cooker!!
No such thing as too much fabric

zora

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 17:43:35 PM »
I had no idea so many sewists name their machines   :o
None of my machines have a name.

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 19:01:32 PM »
I had no idea so many sewists name their machines   :o
None of my machines have a name.
There's still time!
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.