The Sewing Place

Franken patterning- mixing it up

jintie

Franken patterning- mixing it up
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
It means combining two or more patterns.
I am putting together the top half of the Loes Hinse Tank Top, with the sides and bottom of the Merchant and Mills Bantam vest.
I am doing this to get a bit more coverage.
Is anyone else moving bits around?
Rottweiler with scissors

Efemera

Re: Franken patterning- mixing it up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
Always hacking stuff... I’ve used a Marcy Tilton skirt pattern attached to a KnipMode bodice a few times.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
I don't tend to mix different patterns up (because I'd only lose the bits) but I do alter patterns to my own taste if I want to.  For example I'm wearing the Merchant & Mills Factory dress pattern today but made it out of jersey fabric, omitted the collar and made it a scoop neck, raised the waist and lengthened the whole thing to reach my knees because I'm tall. I did my usual alterations of adding a bust dart as I'm busty.

Then I faced the front opening placket with Liberty lawn and added matching Liberty cuffs to the short sleeves.  Looks nothing like the original pattern now but I like it better than the original look  ;)

Sometimes I use a tried and tested short sleeved pattern piece from a McCalls pattern to add sleeves to sleeveless  patterns though - as long as they fit the armhole it works very well.

Ros

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
Currently wearing a simplicity 2365 shirt with an itch to stitch bonn sleeve and closet case files kalle curved hem.  I don't know quite why I did all that.

jintie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »
I've now cut out my morphed pattern and checked that it lines up. What else can go wrong?
Rottweiler with scissors