The Sewing Place

Cross grain jeans?

Popeye09

Cross grain jeans?
« on: September 11, 2019, 00:03:02 AM »
Let's say for sake of argument that I had a couple of denim remnants that had enough surface area to squeeze two pairs of jeans out of, but the lengths meant that I could only get the main fronts and backs out whole for one pair. I could get the second pair out by piecing together a couple of legs lengthways and trying to make horizontal knee seams look like a trendy feature.

Alternatively, the second set of fronts and backs would come out whole if I cut them on the cross grain. My gut instinct is that maybe denim is a directional enough material that weird stuff would happen if I tried this. Am I right? Is it crazy talk? Or would it work?

Any advice/experience gratefully received, otherwise I'll start thinking how to make flat-felled knee seams look intentional. :D

(It's a 10 or 11 oz non-stretch denim, for what it's worth.)

Greybird

Re: Cross grain jeans?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 00:06:34 AM »
I think it would probably work OK but it would look different. Unless it's stretch denim it shouldn't behave any differently whichever way it's used.

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:07:46 AM »
If you give the fabric a good pull in both directions, does it have the same amount of give? If so, it shouldn't matter much which way you cut them. Because denim is a twill weave, the diagonal appearance of the threads would lean the opposite way of normal. It would not be obvious, but it may look odd to the subconscious mind. And if you like to wear them to tatters, the usual threads that run across the holes would run up and down instead.

jintie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:10:11 AM »
I did split knees on rhe back leg of a heavish cotton. I split them diagonally.
Rottweiler with scissors

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
Woven fabric always have a bit more give widthways than lengthways even if it's non stretch.
I suspect that with a close fitting garment like jeans that slight difference would be noticeable .
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
A knee seam would be fine. In my day they were called loons or strides and the seam was a V shape.  :D
Joking aside, that's how most leather trousers are made presumably to get the most out of each hide.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »
I agree with @Ploshkin. IMO making jeans is a lot of work, I'd make one pair 'properly' then maybe shorts, or cropped ones with a join at the knee.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
I too agree with @Ploshkin   Jeans are generally close fitting and even minimal loss of widthways stretch/give will be noticable.  If you go down the cutting sideways option cut generous seam allowances.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Popeye09

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 22:06:03 PM »
Cheers all!

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 23:33:16 PM »
I would also expect the knees and such to bag more quickly when worn if cut on the crossgrain.

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 00:04:29 AM »
(I could be wrong...) Doesn't denim shrink more in the length than width? If you turn it cross grain they could be a tight fit after washing - my jeans are shorter after washing, usually for several washes.
But I would try it :)

ckj514

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 19:58:28 PM »
I'm late to the conversation, but Named clothing have a pattern for jeans with a knee seam, Palo jeans from their Breaking the Pattern book. So a knee seam might look very trendy.

Popeye09

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
Just a quick update, they're done! (and apparently the same colour as the door  0_0)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
They look good - orange trousers and orange doors  0_0

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
They look great - well done!