The Sewing Place

Kwik sew 3955

Didi

Kwik sew 3955
« on: April 21, 2017, 21:12:05 PM »
Pattern was free with a magazine and I thought it would make a fairly easy summer dress, beginning to wish I hadn't bothered

First off I cut it out of some paisley printed cotton blend I had in my stash, measured the fabric and made sure there was enough which I THOUGHT there was anyway after cutting it out I found another pattern piece hiding behind the sewing machine and there wasn't enough fabric left. If I hadn't mislaid it I would have more than likely with some jiggling of pieces have got it out. First reaction was to just chuck the whole thing in the bin but slept on it

Anyway this morning I remembered a piece of cotton drill type fabric I have had for years it's bright yellow - and I mean sunglasses required yellow  0_0- there wasn't enough to get all the pieces out so I decided to use the pocket linings from the original fabric and just managed to get it all out.

To the pattern - it is huge !! I used the finished size on the pattern to decide which size to cut which was the small and there is no way on this earth I am a small. Anyway it's still too big the arm holes are massive and it's just big all over So tomorrow I will be botching big style to reduce the armhole size alter the facings before I sew them in and making the front and back seams wider.

It potentially will be a comfortable dress to wear in the summer with a light jacket but at the moment it is more like an oversized sack !!

Sewsuzie

Re: Kwik sew 3955
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 23:29:37 PM »
Sorry to hear your dress hasn't turned out a good fit  :(. Hope you have better luck with it tomorrow.
I've googled the Kwik Sew pattern number, and it's showing a pattern for a toy spotty dog and accessories  -<, so can't tell what you've been making.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 23:57:30 PM »
Willing but not always able :)

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 00:14:44 AM »
I am rather over Kwik Sew.  I was a fan when I first started sewing but like an old lover feel a bit cheated now and wonder what I ever saw in them.  They have a tendency to come up large (we are still on Kwik Sew here, not my ex lovers), I am a size 14 usually in the Big 4 stable but make a small in this make, with the occasional FBA to avoid button gape.  I also lost a pattern piece, it was a neck facing, I eventually found it stuck to the cat's bottom.  I'm ashamed to say I still used it.  I am not a fan of tracing, I love cutting out and sewing, but I don't do tracing.  I hope you get your dress sorted.

Didi

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
Is it this one?

https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3955

:frock:

That s the one. Just need to go and restock the food cupboards this morning then I will start the botching  0_0

Didi

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
I am rather over Kwik Sew.  I was a fan when I first started sewing but like an old lover feel a bit cheated now and wonder what I ever saw in them.  They have a tendency to come up large (we are still on Kwik Sew here, not my ex lovers), I am a size 14 usually in the Big 4 stable but make a small in this make, with the occasional FBA to avoid button gape.  I also lost a pattern piece, it was a neck facing, I eventually found it stuck to the cat's bottom.  I'm ashamed to say I still used it.  I am not a fan of tracing, I love cutting out and sewing, but I don't do tracing.  I hope you get your dress sorted.

I've never used KwikSew before and if this hadn't been free on a magazine I doubt I would have bought it. I'm not a fan of tracing either the old eyes don't like it and it's bad enough unfolding one piece of tissue paper never mind 2 !!

Didi

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 15:27:26 PM »
Well the bodge it job is done, and it's not too bad really   ;)

Don't think I will be making this again but it's a nice summer dress and it actually fits well, it doesn't lie completely flat at the front and recutting the facings was a pain but overall I, quite pleased with it

The pattern is however HUGE and I think anyone slim even cutting the XS would be swamped, luckily "slim" is not a word that could be used to describe me  :D

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 17:10:31 PM »
It looks like it was worth salvaging.  I like the pockets too and the colour.  Big pat on the back for you!     

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 17:42:36 PM »
I agree it looks good and comfy too.  Good job after all that!  Well done  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)