The Sewing Place

Raincoat

charlotte

Raincoat
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
So following on from my post about the pattern and its dodgy placket, I now have my fabric for my raincoat! I am making a short, jacket-length version of the Lara Sanner Truffle Coat pattern with toggles and a drawstring round the hood. I still need to gather a few supplies (separating zip and cord for the toggles and drawstring) as the basic haberdashery at Liberty is sadly much-depleted these days and John Lewis closes at 8pm.

Not a great picture because the light was gone by the time I got home, but you can get the idea. The main fabric is the blue - a waxed canvas from Dalston Mill. The flowery lawn is the lining (and the matching zip for an internal pocket) and the purple leather offcut is for the toggle fasterners. The toggle buttons look black in the picture but they are actually dark blue. I need to go back for some smaller ones to go on the hood drawstring, because I only thought of that later.

I really wanted Strawberry Thief for the lining, but they didn't have it in an appropriate colourway so flowers it is.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Raincoat
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:19:35 PM »
Ooh I love the lawn. Is that a Liberty print? 

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
Ooh I love the lawn. Is that a Liberty print?

It is indeed. Ros Tana lawn. I will have something shiny in the sleeves for easy of getting in and out, but this is for the visible lining.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:57:07 PM »
That's going to be one smart jacket.  I've never made a rain garment so will follow your progress with interest.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 18:32:43 PM »
Thought I recognised it.  Nice!

Tiggy

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 19:58:59 PM »
I love your choice of colours.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
Decided it was a good a good idea to sew the toggle patches on by hand with a contrast thread to match the lining. Somehow this managed to take me nearly four hours. Anyway, they are done now and I think it was worth the effort. I had to use an awl to punch the leather and everything.

I've done the front pockets as well - decided I needed lined bellows pockets with concealed magnetic closures - but I forgot to take a photo of those. I have also done my invisible zip Oyster card pocket on the right sleeve. So that was all day yesterday but that's pretty much the hard work done now. It's just pretty much sewing basic seams now until it's time to bag the lining. Although there is still time to chicken out of that and just finish the hem and cuffs by hand.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 13:31:33 PM »
I've got this pattern so I shall be really interested how it turns out.  I love the colour though, what is the fabric?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 13:42:25 PM »
It's a waxed cotton from Dalston Mill. They have a lovely array of colours.

It's a bit greasy to the touch but I didn't have any problems getting it through the sewing machine (unlike the British Millerain I tried in the past) and water pools beautifully on it. It doesn't take to ironing well, even when sandwiched between self-fabric scraps, but it takes a very nice crease with finger-pressing and top-stitching.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 21:20:02 PM »
Very neat toggles, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing  :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Probably too late to be helpful now - but you can create the stitch holes in your leather with a sewing machine (use a leather needle and no thread, and then hand stitch through the holes you created; nice even stitch length  :)

Lovely project, looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

leilaMay

charlotte

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
Finished raincoat:

It chucked it down with rain shortly after this picture was taken, so it got a full test run!

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
That looks fabulous, well done.  How did the waterproof fabric handle for sewing?
Life's too short for ironing.

charlotte

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
How did the waterproof fabric handle for sewing?

It was surprisingly easy. I used a very sharp new needle which may have helped. I tried some British Millerain before which was an absolute nightmare but this didn't gum up the machine at all. This was much thinner, which is exactly what I wanted. Pressing was an absolute no-go though.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
That looks really good, so I might go for it next year.

Funny, I had no trouble at all with the Millerain, the only thing was it didn't like pins so it was clips all the way.

An excellent job  and wearable (I've got things  where an excellent job but for some reason I never get the right place to wear).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included