The Sewing Place

Ponte

sewmuchmore

Ponte
« on: September 17, 2019, 16:15:43 PM »
Not a fabric I have every used or bought so can anyone recommend an online shop that sells decent stuff. I don't want too much (if any lycra). I did see some with Lycra in a shop but it had a horrible shiny sheen to it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

charlotte

Re: Ponte
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 16:31:16 PM »
I bought this for a class I did with them. Was completely lost buying knits at the time, so I just went for the recommended fabric from their shop! It is very nice, although I never actually finished my dress due to annoyance over a lack of pockets!

https://sewoverit.co.uk/product/ponte-di-roma-jersey-plum-violet/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 16:33:36 PM by charlotte »

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 16:53:25 PM »
I had some cotton ponte from Minerva which is really nice, but very thick - definitely winter only. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 17:07:29 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 17:31:07 PM »
@charlotte That looks like a really nice cloth but at £15 a metre I would have to really, really love it justify £30 for a pair of trousers.
@Acorn I did see some at Minerva but it doesn't give the % of elastane and they have never replied to my enquiry.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

jintie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 18:25:50 PM »
Beware- mostly polyester pills quickly where it rubs.
Rottweiler with scissors

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 18:39:15 PM »
@sewmuchmore Minerva don't have the one I bought any more - which I'm sure doesn't contain much lycra - and there's no reason to think that any of the others are the same composition.   -<  They are pretty bad at communication.  ><  ><
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 22:33:13 PM »
Croftmill have some with 70% viscose and just 3% elastase - and it's only £7.50 a metre - and a good choice of colours. That's probably what I'd go for if I was looking for ponte, if only their postage to Ireland wasn't a deterrent!

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
Clothspot and Dragonfly both have some nice ponte and will send samples.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Celia

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »
I use Ponte a lot, real Ponte Roma is over 70 % viscose with only a very small, under 5% Lycra this wears much better and sews beautifully.
Unfortunately looks of places call the wrong fabric Ponti Roma.
 I haven’t tried the Croft one but it looks good so I am off to look on their website  right now Thanks @Vezelay
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:59:13 AM by Celia »

Celia

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
Just looked I saw just the colour I have been looking for but £5.95 postage does seem a bit high when I only want one and a half metres of fabric, might have to wait until I need more :devil: