The Sewing Place

Forehead slapping moment...anyone else care to "fess up?

rubywishes

Forehead slapping moment...anyone else care to "fess up?
« on: April 22, 2017, 13:59:52 PM »
I cosied down in the sewing room this afternoon to get a start on the cutting out of the next section of a quilt I have started.....(why I have 3 new quilts on the go at once I have no idea).....so.....music turned on, new blade in the rotary cutter, cup of tea at hand, cleared table, fabrics ready....right, off we go cutting out 72   3" squares.

I'm cutting beautifully, humming to the music, slurping my tea and smiling at Mr.Ruby pottering out in the garage and singing at the top of his voice...my day is perfect (12 squares cut). 

but....errrrr there's a niggle in the back of my mind like a little buzzing fly.

I mentally shoo the fly away...count my little squares (24 cut) and continue on with the task. Mr.Ruby is in full voice now singing along with the radio out in the garage....lord that man makes me smile.....my day is perfect (40 little squares cut).

I pause, there's a glorious balmy autumnal breeze coming in through my window...love this time of year and I'm just going to pretend that little niggle in the back of my head is just not there. Oh and I just remembered, Mr.Ruby suggested we have take away for tea tonight so no need to stop and prepare a meal....lord that man makes me smile.....my day is perfect (65 little squares cut).

I'm loving these fabrics I'm using partly because they're fat 1/4 quarters that have been hanging around for ages with no purpose and now I am getting them used. I'm loving the day because all the little squares are cutting out so nicely and Mr.Ruby has just come inside and asked if I'd like to go out tomorrow in the sidecar for a day out and a lunch somewhere as the weather is going to be so nice...lord that man makes me smile....my day is perfect ( 72 little squares all cut out and stacked neatly).

So now I am tidying up a bit..you know, put the cutter away, fold up the scraps, or bin them, get the sewing machine and iron turned on.....oh, hang on...I've got a couple of extra squares cut out...no matter, I'll pop them in my little drawer on the shelf marked "Spare Squares"..they'll come in handy one day. And then it happened; the little niggle in the back of my head exploded as I opened the drawer....OMG there so neatly bagged and labelled is a bag of 80 little 3" squares all cut and ready!  :| :o :S

I now I have 80 little squares pointing their collective fingers at me screaming "we tried to tell you we were here!" and Mr.Ruby is still singing at the top of his voice.....but now I'm struggling to smile and my day is not so perfect!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 14:01:37 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ellabella

Re: Forehead slapping moment...anyone else care to "fess up?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 14:07:56 PM »
Just think that next time you need 80 little squares, you will have them cut already ;)

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 15:50:04 PM »
Two quilts for the price work of one Rubes...no problem!

Just make them both and dispatch the other to ....

Iminei
5 St Leon......

hahahaha....you're vying with RD for fabulous posts hon!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 19:00:34 PM »
Oh Rubes, what are we going to do with you??  <3
Perhaps you can make the quilt twice as big  -<  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 20:24:29 PM »
Get sewing girl. I found a bag of precut squares that I didn't know I had only the other day when I was looking for something else, not sure when/what I got them for.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
Ah yes girls....gotta look at this as a "glass half full" not a "glass half empty" situation haha! So quilt number 4 "in progress' it is. And with that decision made I have officially put the bag of little squares and some recently discovered (where the heck did this come from????)  2.5 metres of rather nice white fabric up on the cutting table with a label  "Quilt 4 you Twit" on it so big you lot "over there" can probly read it if you peer out ya windows and look in my direction! 0_0

I really do need constant supervision these days. :|
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »
"Care in the Community" is knocking at your door Rubes ( not really, it just shows you have a jampacked life .... unlike  some of us poor old retirees  :D )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
"Care in the Community" is knocking at your door Rubes

Lordy...let 'em in.......will they clean my house and do the washing for me???

Lantana

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 18:30:41 PM »
Ah but Ruby you had such FUN cutting them out ..... a perfect hygge day (see book thread),

Lanty  :vintage:

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 20:36:22 PM »
I can fess up to the April B.O.M. After I made the proper one, I got it into my head that I could remember how to do it without checking the tute,  I ended up with some sort of square but realizing I had got it wrong I went ahead and stitched it together.  This is how it turned out  :\  Lol
Willing but not always able :)

Lantana

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 20:50:30 PM »
I can fess up to the April B.O.M. After I made the proper one, I got it into my head that I could remember how to do it without checking the tute,  I ended up with some sort of square but realizing I had got it wrong I went ahead and stitched it together.  This is how it turned out  :\  Lol

PMSL! I did exacty the same thing .... well the thinking I could remember it and getting it wrong. I'm afraid mine went in the bin though so good on you for finishing it!! We must have made the same error as mine woud have looked like that had I proceeded but I think it does in fact look quite good. It's why the 4th one in the example I posted is a different colour!

L :vintage:

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 21:34:41 PM »
RoFL Lanty !!  Great minds think alike  :)

>:)  ;)  :ninja:
Willing but not always able :)