The Sewing Place

Would you believe it???

Lowena

Re: Would you believe it???
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Ah, @Bodgeitandscarper  our duvets are light, but I don't know what they are ( but they're flat ) they were bought in Sainsbury's :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Elnnina

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 12:06:33 PM »
Lowena take a trip up to your nearest John Lewis and look for the Four Seasons duvets - these come in one box and are two separate duvets, one for summer use thus a lower tog, and the other for autumn use and a higher tog, then put the two together for the winter and you get the benefit of the much higher tog.  they should be light, fluffy and warm.  Flat duvets indicate that they are not trapping the warmth.

Like Bodgeitandscarper I have a hot water bottle all year round, thus every single night and this is on my lower back and believe me it does make such a difference to my back - I need this as I have a displaced pelvis and thus suffer a lot of pain in that area and even standing/walking can send my back into spasms and then I cannot move, so hot water bottle it is - marvellous invention.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
I was imagining a conversation with DH regarding keeping warmer in bed.  He'd come up with other ideas :devil:
We don't have the central heating on overnight but do have a down duvet; very light but very warm.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 13:07:59 PM »
@Lowena if your duvets are flat they are not going to be very warm! 
I will only buy down duvets, I don't like the polyester/hollofibre/artificial filled ones, I find they make me even more sweaty in the summer and cold in the winter.  Down is expensive, but will last for years and years.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 13:54:42 PM »
I have a down duvet but have had to stop using it. Can't remember how many togs it is but in a modern well insulated house it is much too hot. I was almost cooking under it - I kept thinking about those haybox things that you can cook casseroles in!

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 17:28:28 PM »
@Lowena just to add to the confusion we have a wool filled duvet and are very pleased with it. It seems to regulate the heat well, cool in summer and so far we have not had to add to it in winter.

If your duvets are polyester and flat they will have lost their insulating properties.

Another solution would be to share a bed with Mr L again, nothing like a warm body to keep out the chills on a winters night.  :D

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 18:56:31 PM »
@Ellabella my back and hip problems make that impossible I'm afraid  :( I have to move quite a lot, and quite a way regularly. I also have a TENS machine plugged in and on my pelvis overnight.....and it buzzes  :D
OH is not a good sleeper anyway, but we do manage it from time to time  ;)

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 19:48:00 PM »
So my suggestion of one of these isn't going to work then?  ;)  Maybe during the daytime...?

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 20:51:18 PM »
 :D :D

Greybird

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 23:11:56 PM »
@Acorn - that garment looks exactly like the ones described by OH when he was in hospital 4 years ago. They gave him too much morphine and he was hallucinating. Once the giant dragonflies had cleared, he was in a room with pairs of men walking round and round, all wearing just such a garment.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:57 AM »
@Acorn makes you wonder what the hands inside that suit are up to  0_0 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
Well, judging by the expressions on their faces...  :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.