The Sewing Place

Paypal Returns

Vezelay

Paypal Returns
« on: September 21, 2019, 20:27:34 PM »
https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Maybe everyone knew about this except me. If you pay with Paypal and want to return something you can claim a refund of your return postage (need to upload various proofs) up to 12 times a year.

I had to return some boots to Cotton Traders as they were too small. Bearing in mind that they're in the UK and I'm not I'm pleased to say they they refunded in full including the original postage and told me to claim the return postage via Paypal (who paid up quickly).

Not exactly sewing related but could be useful, and news to me!

UttaRetch

Re: Paypal Returns
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 20:41:55 PM »
I returned something I had ordered and the seller kept the postage.  I complained to paypal and was refunded postage.  Online businesses who keep the cost of return are on to a nice little earner and it's good to see paypal on our side.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
Why should consumers be out of pocket for an item that has been returned and can be resold?  If I pay £15.99 for something that has to be returned, I expect a full refund.  However, a good business will send a postage paid returns label.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
But they've already sent the item, so they aren't keeping the postage. The money has already been spent posting it to you...
It depends on why the item is being returned though - if it's not as described in any way then they are at fault and should pay the full refund. 

I ordered a named manufacturer tap from an Amazon Marketplace Seller a few years ago.  They sent one that looked identical but was a generic brand.  When I complained they said I should return it and they would then decide whether to refund the postage.  I refused, and Amazon intervened and told them that they had to send me a postage paid label or arrange a collection.  The seller told me to keep the £80 tap because it wasn't worth the cost of their paying the postage... 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
I'm in the middle of a claim right now. I'd forgotten about the service so I hope it works out.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
I would think that this service also allows the smaller companies to better compete with the larger ones that can afford to offer free returns for any reason at their own expense - and that's a really good thing.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 16:08:26 PM »
Why should consumers be out of pocket for an item that has been returned and can be resold?  If I pay £15.99 for something that has to be returned, I expect a full refund. 
However, a good business will send a postage paid returns label.

If I buy something from a town centre shop & need to return it, the retailer will not refund my fuel & carpark fee, even if the item is faulty. It's reasonable for a business to want to verify a fault before refunding postage.

I sold a satnav on eBay, the buyer claimed it was faulty. He returned it to me & I found it was set to Polish and had Polish destinations set. Clearly it wasn't faulty. I refunded the purchase price for goodwill but refused to refund postage, as Fran says I'd already paid to send it out. He made an almighty fuss: eBay backed me.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 17:16:35 PM »
Returns is a cost that businesses should bear, especially the big ones.  Further online retailers are already at an advantage since overheads are lower. I am glad to see that paypal has stepped in on this.