The Sewing Place

Wedding favours

Fiona M

Wedding favours
« on: April 22, 2017, 18:23:18 PM »
Not technically 'sewing', so wasn't sure where to post this, but I've agreed to make the 'favours' for a wedding next year, and wondered if anyone has done them and have any tips or suggestions for making them especially lovely?

Lilian

Re: Wedding favours
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 18:48:25 PM »
I did some searching and how about 'tulle sachets filled with potpourri' with a nice fancy ribbon to close it off.  :snip:
Willing but not always able :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 18:49:27 PM »
How traditional do they need to be the last wedding I went to they were little jars of homemade jam... I'm not fond of sugared almonds
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 19:17:00 PM »
Depends on the theme of the wedding...

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 21:03:35 PM »
Thanks!  I will definitely be going down the 'traditional' route of 5 sugared almonds, its more how to 'wrap' them that I'm wondering about. As yet, no theme, colour scheme available (nor date set!), but I am expecting purple to feature heavily as I know it to be the bride's favourite colour.
I have seen them done in net, tulle, organza and even vintage hankies.  Just wondered if anyone had done them and had any tips?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 21:06:03 PM by Fiona M »

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 21:11:51 PM »
I think food always makes the best favour and the least likely to be left behind. I'd do something like chocolate. Alternatively if it's going to be a big party, hangover kits  :devil:

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 21:57:40 PM »
I like the idea of the traditional 5 sugared almonds (yummy!) they would be in a nice little tulle bag.  At a wedding a few years ago in Eire, we all had a bag of jelly beans wrapped in a pointy clear bag with a fancy ribbon, they were delicious! 
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 22:20:58 PM »
Scrummy as it might be I wouldn't use chocolate - it might melt in a warm room!

I did some years ago for DD's wedding.  You can get little shallow plastic dishes, just big enough for 5 sugared almonds, from cake decorating shops.  Sit one of those in the middle of a circle or a square of tulle or organza or whatever, add the almonds and tie with the narrow ribbon you decorate parcels with and curl the ends of the ribbon by pulling along the blades of your scissors.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Samantha

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 22:29:57 PM »
We had little bags of sweets from our childhood - flying sauces, love hearts and sweetie necklaces for the ladies and watches for the men

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 22:45:56 PM »
We toyed with the idea of favours, then decided that a bloody sit down meal should be more than enough, so didn't bother. 

A good friend made lovely origami boxes from wrapping paper, and put jelly babies in them, which was a nice change.
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
I'm a papercrafter too so would make little decorated boxes...I have lots of box dies so it's easy to cut them.... I could cut you some if you wanted..
I have both these shapes

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
If you didn't want to go to the bother of actually making the boxes, places such as Hobbycraft sell ready made ones that you could decorate yourself.

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
Thanks!  I will definitely be going down the 'traditional' route of 5 sugared almonds, its more how to 'wrap' them that I'm wondering about. As yet, no theme, colour scheme available (nor date set!), but I am expecting purple to feature heavily as I know it to be the bride's favourite colour.
I have seen them done in net, tulle, organza and even vintage hankies.  Just wondered if anyone had done them and had any tips?

The little plastic dishes make the favour sit well so the decoration stays upright... you can buy  the organza circles precut .. home cut ones tend to fray more but pinking will help ... I would say that they can all look lovely but ultimately all the wrapping ends up as rubbish on the dining table...unless you create something people will want to take home with them
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
I would say that they can all look lovely but ultimately all the wrapping ends up as rubbish on the dining table...unless you create something people will want to take home with them

Partly why we abandoned the idea.  For a while, I toyed with the idea of making/buying seed bombs as favours, but got very mixed reports on them when I started looking into it.  No one seemed to care that they had no favours, they were too busy tucking into the delicious meal!
C'est moi!

Fiona M

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »
Thanks, yes I have been given them at weddings and always taken them home as a memento - I would be amazed if anyone actually wanted to eat sugared almonds!  I will seek out the plastic dishes, they sound nifty.  I was thinking of probably three layered circles of tulle, embellished with narrow ribbon and some sort of decorative flower or something.  For my personal taste, 'less is more', but I suppose the bride may have other ideas ...
By the way, I'm making them as a gift from myself, she didn't ask me to do it, but obviously I had to let her know as I need to know colour scheme etc.