The Sewing Place

Pattern Weights

wrenkins

Re: Pattern Weights
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
I've recently started tracing some of my patterns and I find it difficult to stop the tracing paper sliding about over the tissue. Any top tips for that. Tins of beans and soup are not only ugly but cumbersome and anything smaller can slide about too If I'm not careful. The first thing I do is mark my corners so that I can replace the TP as accurately as possible.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »
That happened because they couldn't find the notches snips and the fabric was more or less the same on both sides.

Come on now, who doesn't make a chalk mark on the wrong side of fabric which is virtually the same on both sides?  :fish:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

snoozi soozi

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
@wrenkins try sticking your patterns and tracing paper to a window...
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
Come on now, who doesn't make a chalk mark on the wrong side of fabric which is virtually the same on both sides?  :fish:

Contestants on GBSB
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
@wrenkins try sticking your patterns and tracing paper to a window...
Just when my neighbours thought they'd seen it all!  0_0
Top tip thanks @snoozi soozi.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
I've recently started tracing some of my patterns and I find it difficult to stop the tracing paper sliding about over the tissue. Any top tips for that.

staples, pins, sellotape ....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
I pin mine on.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
I stick pattern to my table with magic tape and then stick the pattern paper over the top with more magic tape.

Sewbee

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
I only use a rotary cutter to cut out ribbing or small items; otherwise a scissors - much more precise.

I have had my pattern weights for about 30 years and love them. They are like giant silver ring washers - well about 4 inches in diameter for the largest, but I have them in various sizes. They have little grips on the bottom to stop them moving. The grips are about four 1/8 inch pin heads sticking out of the bottom. I can’t find any pattern weights with grips these days and I need a few more.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 23:01:29 PM »
@Sewbee if it wasn't so expensive I'd send you mine. I haven't used them in about 30 years. Mine are in a plastic sleeve and use thumbtacks for the prongs. Hated that so took the tacks out.

Once I got used to it I'm much more accurate with a rotary cutter.  Easier on my hands too.

It's interesting to read what works best for each of us.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 23:37:14 PM »
As I've posted before, I use cast iron pattern weights.

https://www.goldstartool.com/pattern-weight-set-set-oftwo.htm  These are the ones I do buy.

Cutting, I use a variety of things.  8" dressmaker Ginghers, 10" tailor shears, 5" tailor points and am electric knife/rotary cutter among other things.

https://www.goldstartool.com/4-inch-electric-rotary-cutter-with-easy-guide-for-fabric-more.htm

As to tracing, I so it with a smooth wheel, graphite paper and unprinted newsprint.  If I need to keep the pattern for work, I transfer it to oak tag.

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
I use old glass moisturiser jars, and perfume bottles at home, but at work it's whatever is to hand and a few pins.

I also do the trick with the ruler to make sure I'm on grain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 18:59:26 PM »
I use a cheap set of spanners and occasionally add a small hammer to the mix.  I even use pins sometimes.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
@Gernella you made me laugh out loud with your small hammer... 0_0

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »
It is a sewing tool @wrenkins, I use  to knock snaps in when I can't use the pliers, although I really could do with a bigger one, it's not very good, but it does come in useful holding pattern paper down so it's staying. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included