The Sewing Place

A lil Help with making curtains!

BrendaP

Re: A lil Help with making curtains!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
I do it in the same order as Greybird.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Hi @Greybird

I've pinned the lining to the sides, Im at a crucial stage now so a reason why thats a bad idea and best to SS instead would be really helpful.

linky
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 14:24:03 PM »
Well Ive probably broken multiple rules and regulations set out by The Fine Furnishing Fabrics and Finishes Society and will have the TFFFaFS police at my door within the next 24 hours but the one curtain is done!

I finally decided to machine stitch the heading tape down first and then slip-stitched the sides by catching the stitches that run down the length of the curtain (from when I turned them in) as I sewed the lining to the edge ... I know that is probably a cardinal sin, but it seems to have worked as it hangs well, it hangs straight and you cant see the lining.

I didnt have a lot of hem on the width as the fabric selvages were cut off and in the end the curtain has come out about 48" wide ..  -< ... so as the span for half the window is 33" ... its a very lightly ( and I do mean lightly) ruffled curtain! :S

I dont know whether to hem up the second bit of lining now or not ... considering it might be a looooooong time before these get hung.

I wonder what the fabric is and if its still available ...Hhmmmmm

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 14:30:00 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 16:39:23 PM »
I do it the same as Greybird and Brenda
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 18:39:01 PM »
Sorry @Iminei - I've been on painting duty today and only just seen your post. I'm sure what you've done is fine - once it's hung you won't see the workings anyway and in a very short space of time you won't be able to remember what you did. The fabric looks lovely and I look forward to seeing a picture of it hung. Well done!!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 13:54:57 PM »
@Flobear  and @Puzzler  ... Do you remember, way back when in September (2019 ...OOOpppss!!  :|  ) I found some fabulous fabric at a craft fair and set out to make a new set of curtains to replace the perilous pair that have been gracing my bedroom since 1989 (  :[   :|  )

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pic shows my curtains from 1989 on the left and the new fabric on the right (that were obviously a pair of curtains in a previous life)  ... Not much difference is there ?

Well I made them and they have been languishing in the Sewing/Art/Craft/Wardrobe/Spare room ever since.

Last week in a fit of madness I finally tidied ahem ... spring cleaned my bedroom and today, walking in, saw my beloved but much battered curtains hanging pitifully at the window.
Without giving it much thought I went into the SACWS room fetched the curtains and within five minutes the new jobbies were up ... And I must say altho' they were tight on width they look fine ... (the old ones were only a width each too, so Im used to it.)

BUT

What to do with the old ones  ??? I know they are wrecked at the leading edges but I do love the fabric so much .. I would feel bereft just throwing them in the bin ....

Okay Okay ... P&Q I hear you cry !!!

but What do I do FIRST ????

Wash? Cut??  Take out the lining ???

Please help Flo, Puzzler and TSP mind!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 14:00:57 PM by Iminei »

Puzzler

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 14:02:31 PM »
Here's me thinking you had hung them up as soon as they were finished!! I would unpick the lining fabric and bin (in council recycling bin as they take fabric). I would then wash the curtain fabric. It'll have ingested many a dust bunny since 1989 so get them clean. Are they 100% cotton? I can't remember. I'm sure you and others will come up with ideas for using the fabric.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 14:25:07 PM »
Dah! Im not a complete sloven!!! They were washed when we moved here in 2006!!!!

Yes 100% cotton furnishing fabric from Sanderson ... Saraband was the name of the design .. I have quite a bit of it now, Someone found a wodge on Fleabay for sale that I snapped up .... but no long lengths to make another set ... still the 'new' ones dont look so bad do they ???

Hard to see I know .. I'll take another pic when its dark outside!

There was talk of me skinning my original coverlet and remaking it (tho' it was all made with furnishing fabrics, I think I'd go proper this time) Now I have enough of the feature fabric ... yes you guessed it Saraband, to make a duplicate without destroying the original.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 16:11:22 PM by Iminei »

fajita

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 14:43:33 PM »
2206?  :laughing:

Flobear

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 14:44:06 PM »
I do remember your fabric discovery @Iminei . Good to see the finished curtains in place.

I'm afraid my Totally-Stressed-About-Moving brain is not up to suggestions just now  :S
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 17:09:14 PM »
Use the fabric as backing for a special quilt.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 18:11:19 PM »
Cut away the heading, hems etc.  Overlock/zig-zag all the edges and then machine wash.

Hopefully they will survive, but if they are too far gone and come out of the machine in shreds at least you will know thay you had them at your window for their entire natural life.  After that the fabric will be stash - quilt backing, cushions, tote bag, something to wear ....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 07:08:02 AM »
Well I ripped out the heading tapes, ripped out the lining, where the fabric was bad that came too ... settled a Mt Vesuvius of dust all over the dining room ... Cut away the obviously shredded bits and bunged what was left in a gentle wash.

While they churned round and round and round, I hoovered and cleaned and dusted the dining room and now they're out, have been hung over the clothes horse in front of the radiator and are dry ...

There is some more damage but not as much as I expected and Yes!
Quiltbacking ... as I have extra yardage from when they were made and the extra from Fleabay and as I normally piece backing anyway ... a quilt backing could be the way to go!

Thanks for your help peeps from start ... from accompanying me to the craft fair (was it a craft fair, I really cant remember?) to advising me how to make the curtains, to lending me your cutting table and extra hands ... to finish, helping me keep as much of this fabric as possible ... Thank you xxx
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:11:06 AM by Iminei »

Catllar

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 13:19:24 PM »
They'd make a great duffel bag of some sort!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !