The Sewing Place

Style Arc Katherine trousers (I don't call them pants)

Ploshkin

Style Arc Katherine trousers (I don't call them pants)
« on: September 23, 2019, 16:11:33 PM »
I haven't sewn much for ages but the season is now upon me.  The only trousers I make are jeans style because I only like trousers with no flappiness and I have a jeans pattern that I have much tweaked to get a perfect fit.
I have had the Style Arc Katherine Pant pattern for ages so thought I would try it out.  It gives the impression from the sketch that it is a reasonably slim leg but it appeared very wide to me round the hems and so I have tapered the legs taking out about 4" from the bottom of the leg circumference.  I've also lopped about 4" off the leg length.  I got out my trusty jeans pattern and used it to change the crotch shape so that it should fit.

I have made up a quick toile from an old sheet and hey presto, it's a perfect fit (I think).  I have a length of RAF blue cotton twill that I intend using, it was a remnant so I hope there will be enough.
I will report back when I get started.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

Re: Style Arc Katherine trousers (I don't call them pants)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 17:15:27 PM »
@Ploshkin - this is the pattern that I'm in the middle of making. I say "the middle" but I actually started the toile a couple of years ago (I think  >:) ).

Like you I was expecting the legs to be slim but they're anything but. I've also chopped a large chunk off the length too. Other than that they seem to be a very good fit. Don't know why I haven't continued with them.  :\

I'll be very interested to see how yours turn out - it might even spur me on to finish mine.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 09:03:48 AM »
@Ploshkin: I'm with you.  Pant suggests one leg - a trend I have yet to see.  0_0  I wear trousers, animals pant.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
I like the pocket style on those trousers.
I wonder if the cut off version is called a 'short'  :o

Since joining TSP I feel the need to go to a pattern-fitting workshop or course. Especially for tops. I have a toile of something I want to make but am now stuck as regards getting it to fit nicely.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
Trousers are Pants in Ireland too. I confuse poor DS when I ask him if he’s got clean pants out (meaning underwear) so I now call them trouser pants to save confusion for both of us. 

I assume that Pants derived from Pantaloons, so makes more sense in a way and I wonder if Pants originated in Ireland then travelled to the US or the other way round? No idea where the word trouser comes from!

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Mr Google suggests that trousers is a word derived from Irish Gaelic from about 17th century, pants, as you surmise, is from pantaloons and of later derivation in the 19th century.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
Since joining TSP I feel the need to go to a pattern-fitting workshop or course. Especially for tops.

If you find one, let me know and I will join you.  ;) I have taken a couple of Palmer Pletsch courses and had an individual lesson to make a dress. I found for me, the method was a good start but not the full solution. A toile or two is essential, IMO, but I have multiple fitting issues.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »
I have never heard them called pants over here in my life!!! (and I've worked with several Mexicans' and still do!)
I shall ask my Cavan pal on Monday.
For those wondering...Mexicans are our friends from south of the border.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
I agree - pants to pants and even knickers to pants! And as for pant - well - knicker to that!   Unless you want to wear pants over your trousers a la Superman!  (OK I know that technically S's leg attire are tights)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:26:12 AM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
I HATE the word pants. I always say knickers or trousers ( even men wear knickers in my brain  :D )
I even hate it in relation to breathing.....there's something about the sound of the word which I find unpleasant
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
@Lowena I used to work with a girl who couldn't bear the word "moist". Is it related do you think?

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »
@Lowena I used to work with a girl who couldn't bear the word "moist". Is it related do you think?
Now that is one I have a problem with too. No idea why, it just makes me squirm.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
Probably @Greybird ..... A pair of moist pants would probably finish me off  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 13:24:24 PM »
Well in this torrential rain many of us are getting in the UK and unable to get the washing dry I'm afraid it is a case of moist pants!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Starryfish

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 13:30:24 PM »
I can't stand the words moist or panties either, makes me squirm. :[
A day without sewing is a day wasted.