The Sewing Place

Style Arc Katherine trousers (I don't call them pants)

wrenkins

Re: Style Arc Katherine trousers (I don't call them pants)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 13:35:16 PM »
Oooo panties makes my skin crawl!  :S
I knew a chap who couldn't stand the word tender.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 16:55:37 PM »
Back to the pant trousers in question I thought I would just attach the front pocket bags yesterday to make a start.
Now, I'm well aware that Style Arc is well known for their paucity of instructions and I'm ok with that as I can make most things work out.  However I do think that an inexperienced person could drive themselves demented trying to fathom how to do the pockets.  The pattern has diagrams of constructing the waistband, the fly and joining the leg pieces together but conveniently leaves out the pockets.  @Kenora The issue with the pockets is the front seam on the legs because the pocket bag extends beyond that seam.  This means that you have to 'break' the stitching when you reach the top of the pocket, then flip the pocket up and start again in the right spot so that there is not a hole in the seam on the outside.  This isn't difficult but was a bit of a fiddle as I had to do it on the seam stitching, the edge neatening and the top stitching and it all took a bit of a long time as I had to use zig zag for neatening as I couldn't use the overlocker for the long front seam.
The rest should be straightforward, I've done zip flies plenty of times.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 17:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the warning @Ploshkin - I've only made a toile so far and that was some time ago. -< IIRC I didn't bother putting the pockets on, but I'll have to dig it all out to check. I've made pockets like this before but it's always nice to hear of possible problems. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 17:43:09 PM »
I dislike the words slacks or pants, slacks make me think of something that doesn't fit properly and pants make me think it's a pair of men's underpants so it's trousers for me too.

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 19:35:20 PM »
I didn't bother with the pocket construction on the toile either @Kenora so ended up scratching my head for a bit.  Because you need to sew the pocket bag to the half front leg first it would be quite easy to get something back to front as that section of leg doesn't have much shaping.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 20:18:40 PM »
Probably @Greybird ..... A pair of moist pants would probably finish me off  :D

Sewingforfun

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
Those trousers look nice! Good colour.

When I was a child in America, there was a particular catalogue (L L Bean) that offered things like the "hunting pant" and the "walking shoe". My father always said they'd perfect for a one-legged person. It drives me mad that pant has now entered the vernacular.

But also being American, I'm in a constant muddle about what I'm wearing where. And don't get me started on fannys.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Sewingsue

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »

But also being American, I'm in a constant muddle about what I'm wearing where. And don't get me started on fannys.
I was really surprised when I discovered that Americans genuinely did call an embroidery frame that you sat on a 'fanny frame'. Not a word used over here (well not in 'polite' society)

Mind you I remember a conversation with some visiting Americans (dancers as it happens) back in the late 60s, when everyone smoked, around the English use of the word 'fag'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
Finished and worn.  They fit well and are very comfortable, in fact a bit of shrinkage in the wash won't hurt them at all.  They're not too big but I am used to wearing fairly tight fitting jeans in stretch fabric.
Somehow I managed to make a meal of the waistband.  Having done everything possible wrong with it and put it right, when I had installed it I had a big gape at the back.  I had taken in the back seam of the body to account for my curved lower back and because the waistband was already a curved one I (wrongly)  thought it would be fine.  So I ended up having to cobble a dart / seam into the centre back of the waistband.  That has actually made it a bit narrower in the middle of the back than the rest but only I will know and no one will notice.
Excuse the fuzzy picture - the light in this house is always very bad but even more so on a dull day.  They are actually a very nice blue grey.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kenora

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »
They look great @Ploshkin - and I love the contrast waistband facing.  <3

Mine haven't been touched but, to be fair, I haven't quite finished the sewing room yet so the machine hasn't seen any action since the mug rug. -< Any day now (I hope).

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »
I always use a bit of quilting cotton for waistband facings and pocket bags.  It cuts down the bulk in the seams and also I know that it won't irritate my skin which is very picky about fabrics. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
They look very nice and smart.  I’m another fan of printed cotton in the waistband.  Just looks so nice and as you say, cuts down bulk. 

Kenora

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
I usually use jacket lining fabric for the pocket bags at least. The trousers are more comfortable that way, but it depends on how much fabric I have available. :)

Nevis5

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
They look great, @Ploshkin  !  I'm another one who uses scraps for lining waistbands, pockets etc.  I never seem to have enough fabric to complete the whole garment!  Haha!  x

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 01:17:25 AM »
We could group write an R rated romance novel from this thread. Moist, pant, slack, panties, pant and fanny?

I will not supply any sample lines or paragraphs.

Nice pant Ploshkin!

(Yes. I'm *back* from the Colonies as it were.)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.