The Sewing Place

Completely new and a novice

Ploshkin

Re: Completely new and a novice
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Have you ventured to the Dark Side yet Kayk?  There are a few brave free motioning souls over there but quite a lot of us standing in the shallows not plucking up enough courage to dive in.  That bit in your picture is fabulous.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
That's lovely Kayk 
apologies for thread drift Emma  you are very welcome to the sewing place hope you enjoy it as much as I do
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:25:22 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 16:29:05 PM »
Hi Emma & welcome from me too.

I also started at school but was not enamoured of those lessons and didn't dip in again until my later teens with some help from my mum – mostly I started and she finished off as I recall!  ;)

Like many of the others, it peaked when my family was young, declined with growing work pressure but then wonderfully revived upon my retirement with an entirely new interest in sewing dance dresses for my granddaughter!  :D

But I've never sewn Evel Knievel costumes... come on now, Emma, you have to share that one sometime!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 22:23:37 PM »
Hello Emma. I was hopeless at sewing at school, but when I had children I couldn't afford enough clothes for them (no cheap clothing in those days), so I cut up old shirts and the like and made some on my grandmother's hand crank - mostly without patterns. That was 50 years ago and I've got a bit better since then, but there is always something to learn and this is the place for it! Welcome.

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 23:42:35 PM »
Welcome Emma.  I hope you soon get better from your operation.

When I was at school, many moons ago, we had to make a complete uniform plus cookery apron and chefs hat, knit our winter jumper, a pleated games skirt etc.,  I did it all but wasn't much good at hand sewing, I was always told off because I used to lick the cotton, not just the end to thread but the whole length urgh!!

My mother was a seamstress and made all our clothes when we were kids.  Unfortunately she died when I was 11 years old so never got to teach me.

I then got back into sewing at age 22, after making friends with a neighbour, who made her own clothes and then I got my own machine, a second hand old Frister Rossmann and I loved it!  :vintage:

Willing but not always able :)