The Sewing Place

Hello from Brittany

Carillion

Hello from Brittany
« on: September 24, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
Hello everyone,

I've lived in Brittany for five years and before that in the Scottish Borders for fifteen years although I was born in Southport.

I'm a complete fabric fanatic although I came to sewing from a roundabout route.

My beloved Grandma was a wonderful needle woman but I had awful experiences  in 'needlecraft' lessons in primary and secondary education...nearly put me off for life.

Then, when I was seventeen years old I was able to study in my lunch hour at school what today would be called 'Technology'  -  but then it was called 'O' level CPD (Craft, Design and Practice). We followed Syllabus J:- Dress Design ... which in effect meant we learned how to design clothes and draft the patterns in order to make them.

That changed my life!  I've loved fabric and never stopped sewing and making things ever since.

I'm really looking forward to finding out what members love to make and want to
THANK YOU for letting me become a member of THE SEWING PLACE.

b15erk

Re: Hello from Brittany
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
A big welcome from me Carillion!  Glad to have you aboard, grab a brew and a piece of cake, and jump right in!

Southport is one of my favourite places - we live about 40 minutes away!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
Welcome, @Carillion  :flower: :drink:

hernibs

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
Welcome indeed to yourself.  You seem to be well embedded into sewing in any case....what took you so long to get here?  LOL

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
Welcome @Carillion , you sound like a very enthusiastic sewer, look forward to seeing your makes. Do you have a good supply of fabric shops where you live?
Still learning

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Welcome @Carillion can't wait to see your makes  :sew:  :vintage:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 13:31:56 PM »
Welcome from me too @Carillion.

You will find lots of knowledgeable people here who always give their time to help but beware THE ENABLERS, it’s amazing what you discover you can’t live without  :D :ninja:

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 14:08:20 PM »
Welcome @Carillion . Another one put off by badly planned lessons at school. Looking forward to seeing photos of your makes.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 14:12:09 PM »
Welcome @Carillion, welcome from me too  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 15:21:52 PM »
Welcome, Carillion.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Carillion

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 18:10:05 PM »
Thank you everyone for the welcome!

hernibs, I'm a slow starter!!
Good to have found a sewing forum at last  :loveit:

Silver Rose, finding places to buy fabric is a bit of a challenge. Think it's because I'm in central Brittany which is very rural. A new fabric shop has opened just last month which looks really nice. It's about a twenty minute drive away and is a bit like John Lewis was thirty years ago!
I brought a big stash with me which I've collected over the years and buy from the Emmaus shop where Angel Strawbridges goes...haven't seen her yet  :) :)
Mostly, if I'm really stuck I fall back on eBay.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 18:22:04 PM »
Welcome @Carillion  to TSP.  Yes we are nosey here and do like to see what everyone is making.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

twopence

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 18:31:32 PM »
Hello and welcome @Carillion

Carillion

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 18:45:32 PM »
Thank you so much for other lovely welcomes.

Meant to post earlier to b15erk, hello! When I lived in Southport I worked for a good while in Ormskirk and have been to The Owls at Standish many times, I'm sure you have! Xx