The Sewing Place

Blind hemming machines

Stitchalot

Blind hemming machines
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
I am struggling with arthritis in my wrist and thumb and finding hand sewing increasingly painful.

As I sew a lot I have been wondering about possibly getting a blind hemming machine. (I have experimented with the blind hemmer foot on my SM and don’t much like the result, especially on lighter fabrics) They seem fairly inexpensive compared to other machines, but are they worth the space they take up?

Please can anyone with any experience of them offer any advice, suggest brands etc.

b15erk

Re: Blind hemming machines
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
I have a blind hemmer @Stitchalot , but I can't tell you when I last used it. I mainly used it for curtains, but I found the blind hem stitch on the SM was more secure, and with practise you can make a very nice hem.

I remember years ago being quite picky about the SM blind hem, and found a way to make it more acceptable, by letting the needle swing off the right side.  (does that make any sense at all?) I'll try to find a video of the technique.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:00:09 AM »
I was also not too happy using a sewing machine for blind hems, but was introduced to Madeira Monofil 60 which comes in clear or smoke and is so thin it is untrue.  However the downside is finding it.  The shop I bought this from has long gone, and other shops if they have any Monofil it is 40 which is much thicker and nowhere near as nice to use.  Monofil 60 is like gossamer and can be washed up to a temperature of 95degrees, you can use an iron - recommended setting one dot, and can be dry cleaned. 

This Monofil comes on a reel like Sylko used, and whilst it doesn't say how much is on the reel, it certainly goes a very long way.

Why not see if you can get a reel of the 60 and try this for yourself and see what you think, you might just be surprised.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
I’m never happy with a blind hem result either.   But at the moment my arthritis isn’t too much of a problem with my sewing.  @Elnnina you got me thinking.  I don't like the the invisible thread myself so   I’m wondering if a fine rayon machine embroidery thread would work better than ordinary sewing thread?   
However if you like the Madeira 60.....
https://www.barnyarns.co.uk/thread/madeira-thread/madeira-monofilament-thread/

Mamashep

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
I have one, and only use it for curtains and Dh's dress trousers. That said, my curtains are massive so would be impossible to sew by hand. It's not used often but it's worth it for me as I can't buy ready made curtains

Stitchalot

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
Thank you all so much for your responses. I will definitely give the Madeira thread a try. It would be great if that were the answer because I don’t really want to buy another machine if I can get a better result with what I have.  I will let you know!

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 17:03:40 PM »
I find the blind hem stitch on my machine gives a lovely finish, it's worth persevering with it.  I agree a nice fine thread is best. :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:02:13 AM »
Are the types of things you sew not conducive to using a machine stitch?

I don't sew by hand at all** as it causes me a great deal of pain.  I just make a machine hem with closely matching threat so it doesn't show.  I don't follow pattern directions either.

**  I might sew a button on by hand but in reality I haven't made anything requiring buttons in 15 years or more.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »
I've tried my blind hemming facility on my SM and it was shocking!  :x I'll have to persevere and see if I can improve because the bottom of my wardrobe is full of curtain fabric and I really don't fancy hand sewing the whole lot!

I have been know to machine sew and cunningly puddle to hide the eye-sore! :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!