The Sewing Place

Fabric Covered Photo Frames

Carillion

Fabric Covered Photo Frames
« on: September 26, 2019, 14:06:06 PM »
Last year I bought a couple of photo frames from a flea market that were covered in Liberty fabric and had acetate instead of glass as a frontage.

I think the fabric covered a thick card, like the sort you find as mount card for picture frames, rather than lightweight wood.

They're lovely but old and have faded a bit due to sunlight I think.

I've some really nice far quarter, ditzy type Liberty fabric and would love to have a go making some frames but other than unpicking my 'bargains' I'm not sure how to get the best results.

Does anyone have any advice? I've tried googling it but mustn't be asking the right questions.

WendyW

Re: Fabric Covered Photo Frames
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 14:21:29 PM »
I remember making these years ago. I wouldn't unpick anything, but just add the new fabric over the top. If there is a backing board that covers the fabric edges, you need to remove that. You'll need to cut a fabric rectangle big enough to wrap around to the back of the frame. In the middle, cut out another rectangle, leaving enough fabric to wrap from the inside edge to the back. The inside corners will need to be snipped to wrap smoothly. Go slow, and make your snips a bit at a time to avoid snipping too far- it WILL show.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 14:22:09 PM »
I put "fabric picture frame" into the YouTube search box and a few tutorials came up. This one for example https://youtu.be/blzQkYF1wwU

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 16:44:20 PM »
@Vezelay that's the one I looked at  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Carillion

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 16:53:21 PM »
Thank you @WendyW and @Vezelay for your replies.
I currently really like small fabric-related projects so I'm going to make some of these fabric frames for Christmas presents.

Vezelay, I hadn't thought of the YouTube search. When I googled fabric frames I mustn't have scrolled down enough!! So thanks so much for the link  :) :)

Carillion

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 17:04:56 PM »
Hello @snoozi soozi, thank you for the YouTube info! And thanks so much for your kind welcome on the newbie post earlier this week!  :)

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 20:33:36 PM »
@Carillion thanks but it was @Vezelay who found the link for you I just stuck my oar in  :)

We're always sweet to new members, we wait til you've settled in before we hassle you for pics  :devil:

Carillion

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 14:55:55 PM »
Hello @snoozi soozi ! I take your point about pics!

Will try and post on the gallery what I've just finished recently though perhaps I should have wrirren a post it in the quilt section first!?  -<

Still finding my way around.

I'll take a pic later and let you know if I'd managed to post it  :) :)

Carillion

Gallery pics
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 16:09:18 PM »
Hello @snoozi soozi,

Have tried to post some pics in the gallery....yikes! Will try again if they're not there.

Four in all, photo frame/fabric, hand sewn quilt ( just finished), quilt corner detail and first try at re-upholstering small item of furniture. Scared!! :S :S

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 19:30:20 PM »
@Carillion Oh chicken, I'm sorry if you're feeling pressure about posting pictures, I didn't mean to make your life difficult  :o Take no notice of lil ol me  ;)

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 19:42:30 PM »
The photos look great!  (Well, one's upside down, but it doesn't matter!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Carillion

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 20:01:22 PM »
Thank you @Acorn ... Have been trying to turn that pic the right way up for ages!! :S  :S
Not sure what to do!!!!
I'm rubbish at this sort of thing   :*

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 20:28:07 PM »
@Carillion I looked at your photos in the gallery.  They are lovely!  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Carillion

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 20:30:44 PM »
@Lilian, thank you, you've made my day. Xxx

Carillion

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 17:33:58 PM »
@Lilian, thank you, you are so kind to post your message. I was a bit scared to put photos on line. X