The Sewing Place

simple make for new baby

annieeg

simple make for new baby
« on: September 26, 2019, 15:07:58 PM »
I would like to make something for a work colleague's new granddaughter.
Does anyone have any sugestions for a simple (ideally quick 0_0) make for a baby girl (doesn't have to be for newborn, it can be for around 3-6 months...)
thanks in advance.
annie

Acorn

Re: simple make for new baby
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 15:18:03 PM »
McCalls 7677 is lovely - nice and quick to make, but a bit special.  I haven't made the leggings, but the top is lovely.  It can be done with contrasting fabrics, too.  It's available as paper or download.  Theirs and mine:

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 15:21:48 PM »
I often do this

Its quick to make up and is very useful as a wrap etc.

Alternatively bandana bibs or one of those fabric boxes everyone seems to be making for bits and bobs.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 15:25:39 PM »
if you are looking for clothing and don't mind PDFs, Puperita patterns are lovely.

Since they were recommended by @Acorn, I've made several for my GD with great success.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 15:35:42 PM »
Yes!  @Ellabella is right there - lovely, well designed clothes with terrific instructions from Puperita (on Etsy).   :)

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 17:50:39 PM »
I often do this

Its quick to make up and is very useful as a wrap etc.

Alternatively bandana bibs or one of those fabric boxes everyone seems to be making for bits and bobs.

@Ellabella that's a neat idea. I can see it has many uses.  I think I will make one to use as a throw for the back of the settee!  Thanks  :) :vintage:

PS Love the mitered corners!
Willing but not always able :)

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 18:01:40 PM »
Hi,

You could make these cosy booties. I made lots for my granddaughter last winter and my daughter loved them.

http://dorothy-comewhatmayandloveit.blogspot.com/2010/01/bootie-tutorial.html

Or you could make burp cloths. I’ve given sets of these to several new mums and have had requests for more! Here are 3 I’ve just made: they only take 10 mins  :D   

Or you could make a storage bag. I’ve been making several recently and Imi has asked me to put up a tutorial, though I’m no expert.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 18:09:36 PM by Sheilago »

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 22:10:33 PM »
@Sheilago
I echo Iminei's encouragement - a tutorial for that bag would be so useful! 0_0
Annie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
I have knitted lots of pairs of These little hug boots.

Very easy pattern and minimal sewing.

A changing mat is always useful too.  I've made a few and they are always well received.  Just a small quilted map, rolled up and fastened with a snap.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions, particularly the UGG boots :D

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 13:21:36 PM »
Those boots are gorgeous!   0_0  Unfortunately my two-year old goddaughter much prefers having bare feet (I agree with her!), so removes her shoes and socks at every opportunity.  She also removes her 9 month old sister's socks whenever she can - it will be interesting to see whether the baby carries on doing this herself when she gets bigger.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 15:29:53 PM »
I would definitely go for something practical that will last a while.  I spent quite a lot of money (and time) making a hooded top for my little grandson and I think he wore it about twice before growing out of it.

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 15:43:00 PM »
Good point @sewingj.  I'm thinking about a  bag of some kind.
Annie

I've also got an idea for a knitted cot blanket.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:47 AM »
@annieeg If you’re thinking of making a changing bag, this has been an excellent pattern. I have made the bag about 7/8 times. I have had many requests for it. It is time consuming though, I think it takes about 15 or 16 hours (but I am a slow sewer!)  But if you wash the fabric before cutting, the bag can be washed again and again. And there are other easier makes included in the pattern.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
@annieeg If you’re thinking of making a changing bag, this has been an excellent pattern. I have made the bag about 7/8 times ......... And there are other easier makes included in the pattern.

Could you say which pattern you used please? Thanks so much. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath