The Sewing Place

Do you use your decorative stitches?

Celia

Do you use your decorative stitches?
« on: September 26, 2019, 15:17:16 PM »
This is something I often wonder about, how often do you use your decorative stitches and how many different ones do you use.

I am trying to prune my sewing machine collection and wonder how much I will use the fancy stitches even if I do more quilting.  I will never make lots of really big quilts as I do not have the room space but don’t want to leave myself without something I need.
My favourite machine is my straight stitch machine Janome HD9

jintie

Re: Do you use your decorative stitches?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 16:35:21 PM »
I tried a honeycomb stitch to hem a fairly stable knit, when I was tempted by a coverstitch machine. It was good. (Thank you, ejvc).
Rottweiler with scissors

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 16:40:25 PM »
I only use decorative stitches on odd occasions. I only have one machine that is computerized (just)  a simple one.  I wish I had one that did lettering, that is the only thing I miss.  Most of my sewing is straight stitch which is why I love my vintage straight stitch machines.  I wouldn't ever buy one with hundreds of fancy stitches.  I think the blanket stitch, feather stitch and various zig-zag styles are the ones I use most.  Occasionally I will do a flower or a leaf pattern as extra decoration.  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 16:58:31 PM »
I don’t use mine as much as I used to.  I used to wear a lot of plain tops but nowadays I mostly wear patterned ones. 
My machine has a number of very large designs and I’ve used them as borders on jackets etc.  But I have found them a bit difficult to keep straight as they wander all over, so I import them into my embroidery and do it in the frame.   Soooo much easier.   I have used them on children’s stuff and also think they make great decorative hems.  After all, we don’t have to use a straight stitch!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 17:18:07 PM »
Many years ago I made a set of table napkins using a machine embroidered scallop and trimmed closely, but that's about all (except for the time when I accidentally on purpose had the machine set to embroider a row of ducks across Terry's work overall which needed patching. :devil:

I use the utility stitches - triple zig-zag, blind hem and 2 forward 1 back stretch stitches sometimes, and the overcast stitch which looks like blanket stitch for machine aplique, but that about all.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 18:02:53 PM »
I sometimes use a decorative leaf, flower or X stitch with gold thread - or with a mix of two different co-ordinating threads - on a padded notebook cover or other crafty stuff. For some reason folk always admire the decoration and think I must be clever!  0_0

PS I remember at the time I bought my Janome thinking "well, I'll not be using those stitches anyway".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 18:04:41 PM by Vezelay »

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 19:43:43 PM »
There is one of the stretch stitches on my machine that gives a sort of herringbone effect. I use this a lot for appliqueing pieces of vintage fabric/crochet onto cushions. It seals in the edges nicely. I have never used any of the few "embroidery" stitches it has.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 20:22:06 PM »
My two newer machines have hundreds of decorative stitches but I probably only use about 6 in total. I bought the s/m's for their other features, not the number of stitches. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 20:24:23 PM »
Never really use any decorative stitches...my machine has hundreds, most are unnecessary.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 21:09:42 PM »
Our boat curtains had a row of sailing boats along the top & fishes along the bottom, because I could. DH's tropical shirts each had a different stitch around the facings - cars, ants, Greek key (that took forever) I can't remember the others. I was a sucker for lots of fancy stitches but actually they're not necessary.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 01:55:54 AM »
I don't use them very often but have experimented with different ones on the napkins sets I periodically make.  I've used the letters to personalize a larger square for the back of a quilt.  But I don't recall ever doing anything decorative on clothing as I'm concerned that it would look a little too homemade.

So far I've preferred the honeycomb stitch for the napkins as I was trying to do something that would cause them to not folder over so easily when they came out of the dryer and it actually worked pretty well so I see myself using it in the future.  Plus I liked the way it looked.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies. This has in the main confirmed my feeling re my Machines. I have always felt a if a manufacturer produced a really good quality machine with the good extras and a selection of useful  stitches it would sell well.

I have had the good fortune to try lots of different machines over the years and every time I think I might have found what I want I find something missing or something i.e. buttonholes that does not work so well.

I think this is the reason so many of us have a collection of machines not just 1 or even 2.

If anyone thinks they have that 1 great. Machine please let me know

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:13 AM »
The fancy stitches are simply a by-product of the machine's ability to make the utility stitches.  The manufacturers just throw in a lot of additional variations on the higher end machines.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
I have lots of built in stitches on my old Pfaff 1475, but rarely use them.  When I do, it's usually the more basic fancy stitches rather than the more complex embroidery stitches.

I use the blanket stitch, the herringbone, all the zigzag stitches all the time, but I can't remember the last time I used the decorative stitch.

The exception is the lettering, which I use a lot - it's far easier than sewing on name tapes.

My Bernina 730 has a lovely ricrac stitch, but that is the only fancy stitch I use on that.

The Singer 611g has some nice decorative stitches, but up to now, I haven't used them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
Yes @b15erk I think your choice of stitches is much the same as I am looking for, I also would like a good alphabet.

The machine I have which fits these things is a Husqvarna but it also has embroidery and is a very large machine therefore I don’t get the chance to use it very much due to space problems.

I could sell this one  but that leaves me without a good large size alphabet and here the question starts again which machine???