The Sewing Place

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm very pleased to announce ...

Kenora

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm very pleased to announce ...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 21:41:16 PM »
I'll probably have a go. I'm looking forward to seeing @Sheilago 's tutorial to find out what materials I need. I've only ever made tote bags and a clutch bag for myself to use at a family wedding. >:)

Might be nice to make a baby bag as we have an arrival due from one of DH's DGDs in December.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 06:18:24 AM »
I've been threatening to make a bag for years but I get all bogged down in over-engineering pockets and things. If there is a time limit I'll just have to get on with it.
I desperately need pattern storage so looks like that's on the hit list. A boxy bag! Or three!  0_0
Woo Hoo!  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 16:59:19 PM »
As I was already planning to use up some stash to make a bag or tow I should be able to join in.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

RJR_38

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
Ooh I do love to make bags! I have some lovely toucan fabric that is just calling out to be made into a bag. I also have some cork fabric I have been thinking about...decisions decisions!

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
Too complicated for me I'm afraid.I won't be joining in but will enjoy looking
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vezelay

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
10 reasons why you should have a go at making a bag (not addressing this to anyone in particular   :))

1. No fitting required!!!

2. Great chance to experiment with various pretty fabrics and use up those scraps and leftovers.

3. It's quick. Half a day max for a small bag, bit longer for a larger one. I take my time.

4. Solves your Christmas gift problems. (men like useful bags and pouches too).

5. Bags are always useful for carrying stuff, storage, decoration.

6. Lots of excellent tutorials on Youtube from eg Gourmet Quilter, Missouri Star, and on Craftsy

7. It's a useful learning experience. Bags taught me different ways of attaching zips and basic quilting.

8. It's fun!

9. A great excuse to buy more gadgets and supplies  :|

10. You can take part in this lovely Sewalong  0_0

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 21:29:11 PM by Vezelay »

RJR_38

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 20:43:57 PM »

Lowena, I have a pattern for a very simple tote bag. It is made from charm squares sewn together in a block to make the side panels. Let me know if you are interested.

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 23:35:57 PM »
I seem to remember someone made a rather nice tote bag with sashiko embroidery.  I wonder who it was? :ninja:

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't counting tote bags. I have several and never use them. I thought it meant proper bags with bottoms or basket type things for storage. Bottoms, zips, pockets etc etc....beyond moi  :D

Celia

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 13:26:51 PM »
My drawstring bags don’t have such fancy things as zips

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 20:45:10 PM »
I may have a very humble entry into this - I'm intending to make an embroidered tote bag for my Mum as part of her birthday present.  It will be intended to be folded up in her handbag, so no room for sophisticated things like linings!  (I find it very difficult indeed not to line things...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 21:35:37 PM »
We are live ...

Biggest Baddest Basic Bagathon Ever

See you there Folks!!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 22:14:15 PM »

@Lowena, obviously no one has to join in : you may not need/ want to make any bags, but if it’s the ‘ difficulty ‘ that’s putting you off,  it’s really not that complicated- honestly. These are just simple storage bags, not handbags, so no flaps, pockets, fastenings etc. If you can make quilts, you can definitely do this - and I know you can make lovely quilts!

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 23:01:04 PM »
Thank you @Sheilago I read your excellent tutorial which further convinced me it's a step too far for a numpty like me  :D However, I wanted to congratulate you on the tutorial and thank you for taking the time and trouble to do it. Clever girl.
Tote bags are my limit and as I never use them, I'll pass...but will watch with interest  :flower: