The Sewing Place

Going to be rewriring a 221 - want to watch?

LeilaMay

Going to be rewriring a 221 - want to watch?
« on: September 28, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »
Well as the rain and cooler weather arrives, and less time is spent in the garden, the first of the winter sewing machine restorations is beginning. A 1953 black 221K, with Celtic knot pattern decals, which is in serious need of attention.

I've never tried to sew with it, having taken a look in the top and the bottom you will see what I mean, and so this is going to be where I learn 'how to'  :)

The first two shots show the heavy over greasing that's taken place at some time in the past, and the odd wire I found in the bottom (although FWS tell me this is more common that I knew). Later there will be shots and notes on having taken off the motor and the light fitting, if it goes according to plan.

Anyone who has done similar and has comments, do please feel free to speak up  :)

And anyone who wants to follow along and chat away, you're very welcome.
Leila (needs to buy more latex gloves)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

Re: Going to be rewriring a 221 - want to watch?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »
Yes please! :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
of course.... that stray wire is an oddity - looks like youre defusing a bomb :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 15:51:17 PM »
A quick and messy update.
This is the state of the motor wiring:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

My OH says it will be necessary to splice in new wires for both of those that connect to the motor. He can do this with/for me. The carbon brushes are in good condition. There are no capacitors inside the motor.

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 15:58:26 PM »
I have also completely removed the light fitting - which had been rewired at some point, although the wiring is now going to need to be replaced again because . . .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

the over-greasing of the top gears (and most likely the use of the wrong type of grease) has caused excess to come through into the area of the light wires coming into the machine body, and made these wires greasy. Grease has also dropped right down the main pillar of the machine to infect the wiring that sits below it. So the whole thing is slimy  :(

More is not better when it comes to the oi and grease needed for the machine  :S

Anyway, OH has now started making quince jam, so nothing will happen for a while with the electrics.
I have the mechanical arts to clean, and also the case to tidy up a bit.

I am making much use of two online resources. The Featherweight shop 'schoolhouse maintenance tutorials' on their site, and the blog  'My sewing machine obsession' who also took apart a motor similar to this one.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 16:53:47 PM »
Fascinating! I look forward to this. :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 17:49:05 PM »
I can strip all my machines down and put them back together with ease hubby wishes I could do the same with a car

Lollipop

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 18:02:05 PM »
I'm so impressed!! I struggle getting the ruffle attachment on and off  :|
Was Sewnanny

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 18:37:49 PM »
All the electrical components are awaiting work - today the cycle race and F1 took precedence - but I have taken more of the mechanical parts away from the main body of the machine. To clean them well and because I will also be attempting the amazing cleaning and polishing that the Featherweight shop achieve on their machines.
I have even ( first for me) removed the whole gib hook assembly, to get out soe threads caught right behind it. I followed the FWS videos to do this successfully.

I've cleaned the gear mechanism at the top - I'll be doing the bottom tomorrow.

Then I'll be cleaning the whole external machine and polishing, before cleaning the rest of the parts and assembling. By then I should be able to get my electrical helper to get involved with me  :)

Tomorrow I have a friend visiting, so there'll be a halt of a couple of days. . .

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 19:44:53 PM »
Well done so far @LeilaMay  :) I will have to remove the bobbin case and gib on mine as there is a thread stuck that I can't get out  :o  I hope I manage it successfully   :vintage: :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 21:26:56 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Radiofan

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 21:13:01 PM »
The extra green wire looks like something someone added for earthing, clearly they thought it was dangerous.

Date of the machine probably predates TV, hence no capacitors.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:44:05 AM »
The extra green wire looks like something someone added for earthing, clearly they thought it was dangerous.

Date of the machine probably predates TV, hence no capacitors.

Yes I should think you're right. It's not going back though  :)

Holly Berry

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
My ‘54 221k had a cylindrical capacitor, which I removed, so that green wire is probably from there as I can’t see a capacitor. They were put in the reduce noise and interference from radio, shortwave??

I’ll follow with interest, as mine really needs rewiring, but I know nothing about electrics, my OH though does, but has been reluctant to have a go in case he renders it useless. Would it be possible to let us know where you source your new wires from.

I agree with you about the oil/grease, it’s perished most of the wire protection on mine.
Procrastination get behind me

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 15:10:40 PM »
My OH is using a 2 core 3 amp wire, and will be sheathing the newly spliced wires on the motor with electrical insulation sheathing.
He's not very specific there I'm sorry - but when I first asked him "where did you get the wire from" he answered "in the garage" so I squeezed a bit more detail out of him  :)

It's not a particularly fun exercise, made worse by the fact that our motor had been badly greased, and I'm glad we had two pairs of hands to work on it, but we're getting there.

I would most highly recommend you watch the tutorials from the Featherweight Shop - they are super helpful!

LeilaMay

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 16:39:47 PM »
So the light first - on this machine it is the tye where the switch is up on the light housing (not the type with the switch next to the bobbin-winding tension)

The old wire is removed, and new wire fixed in place
Replacing the little plate that comes out of the bodywork to seperate the light from the gears
The wire is threaded back down the space in machine it came out of (ends taped together at this point to help with the 'threading' down the hole)
And is then put back in position under the machine to await the rest of the wiring

Hope that all makes sense?