The Sewing Place

Going to be rewriring a 221 - want to watch?

LeilaMay

Re: Going to be rewriring a 221 - want to watch?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 16:49:09 PM »
Less pictures of the motor, as OH didn't want to be photographed mid-solder!
This was the state of the wiring to the motor before
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

OH cut the wires away at the broken points, and spliced in new wires, each one soldered. Then fairly long insulation sheaths were placed over each join, and the original outer plastic-y sheath slid over the whole lot (we softened the outer sheath in just-warm water to uncrankle it a bit). This is the finished result, you can see the kind of insulation sheathing he used next to the motor.

Then we jury-rigged it via the machine socket (using a safety cut-out plug to the main) to check that the motor now ran. Success!

The worst part was that the grease ports on this motor had been filled with a dark heavy car grease - and REALLY filled! OH says it was probably done with a grease gun. We had a bit of trying time getting it all out - it squeezed/squelched out of the holes like . .  well you'll have to imagine what it was like, but it had to come out. We hope no permanent damage will be done to the motor that some is inevitably remaining. I have now used the correct grease in the ports.

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
The motor is now set back on the machine, and the belt adjusted.
It seemed to me to be a fairly awkward thing to get the wires all attached back to the three-pin socket for the machine. OH says it IS fiddly, and the only advice he could give would be it's better to have the wires too long (i.e. to have made the entire length of wiring too long to start with, and have excess at the end) because you can always shorten it a little bit more if there's too much to tuck back inside the machine when you replace the Bakelite 3-pin socket.

(He has some experience of constructing electrically powered bits of kit in his former work life, and still keeps his hand in making a train set; I'm not sure I would have been confident to try this alone, despite understand the principles of the wiring).

This morning's job is to thread it up, now that the upper tension unit is cleaned and replaced, and see if I can get  nice stitch   :vintage:

All the helpful videos we used were found at  https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/tagged/maintenance

LeilaMay

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 11:42:42 AM »
Oh - other things I did that I could mention. Because I intended to clean and polish the body of the machine, I took off all the removal bits (at once!). usually I'd work on just on part of the machine at a time, but as I was doing this all at once I used grip top plastic bags to separate and keep safe all the various things. So the tiny screws for the bobbin area not muddled up with the screw that holds the tension unit backplate on, and so on. This was very helpful when I came to put everything back.
I cleaned the tension unit - not rust but a lot of sticky grunge.
I replaced the felt drip tray today as well - the new one is black so hard to see. But I just stripped off the old one and used it to make a template, then glued the new one back down.

LeilaMay

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
AND IT WORKS!
In fact it sounds really sweet, moves very nicely and the stitch quality is lovely. It's sounding better than my other black 221 and so I might need to fettle that one before I eve use it again.
But definitely worth doing.
:vintage:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:24:48 PM by LeilaMay »

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
Well done.   0_0  You are braver than me!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
And it's beautiful  <3
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 17:10:43 PM »
Well done it looks lovely I've a 1949 Featherweight which hubby got me in August. It had a capacitor fitted but we had to take it out as it was faulty and making the machine run on its own which was a bit disconcerting as you can imagine.

Lilian

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 22:36:16 PM »
Great job @LeilaMay & OH!  It looks beautiful  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 23:20:28 PM »
What a fantastic job and beautiful machine

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »
Lovely job!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!