The Sewing Place

Butterick 6634 (Katherine Tilton top)

sewingj

Butterick 6634 (Katherine Tilton top)
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
https://butterick.mccall.com/b6634

This was meant to be a quick and easy, relaxing project - no such luck!
For starters, I put one of the exposed zips in the wrong place and then had to wash that piece to get rid of the glue left behind by the Wonder Tape that I had used to hold it in place.
This was my first time making something with dropped sleeves and I found the underarm seam very fiddly.  Then I discovered the sleeves were too long and had to chop an inch off.
The biggest problem though is that the collar is badly designed.  You have to fold it over at the top, leaving several inches at the bottom as a single layer.  This means that when you wear it, the collar flops down revealing the wrong side of the fabric - and it looks a mess.  I ended up taking the collar off and re-folding it so that it is all a  double layer.  Fortunately the piece is plenty big enough to be able to do this.
Anyway - here`s the finished item.  I am pleased with it but don`t think I would use the pattern again as I`m not totally happy with the dropped sleeves on me.  It would be a good pattern if you were looking for a "fisherman`s smock" style though.
P.S. according to my measurements I should have made a Large but that would have been very loose.  I usually fit a Medium with Katherine Tiltons designs

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:46:24 AM by sewingj »

Ploshkin

Re: Butterick 6634 (Katherine Tilton top)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
It looks a good job, well done but it's very annoying when it fights back every step of the way.
Life's too short for ironing.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 13:00:24 PM »
Your top looks lovely. I really like that pattern but will think twice now about buying it - so  thank you for that!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 13:35:23 PM »
Nice top @sewingj ! Yes the Tilton patterns can be a little hit or miss on the technical details. I've just sewn two versions of the Katherine Tilton top from the summer Butterick release and apart from making the standup collar narrower in the second version it came together well. Butterick 6689. https://butterick.mccall.com/b6689
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 13:37:00 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde