« on: September 30, 2019, 14:24:11 PM »
Hello,
I’m an inexperienced sewer, so forgive the newby questions please
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

charlotte

Re: Taking a skirt in and up
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 14:30:54 PM »
Depends on the fabric. Does it have any stretch? I like a skirt with a tight waistband, so I probably have anything from -0.5cm to 2cm ease. I would suggest you take a skirt that fits well and measure the waistband on that. If you will wear it with flats or heels, I would suggest almost on the floor (1cm from the floor?) in flats, so that it is still long with heels.

Emerion

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 14:37:30 PM »
It has a little bit of stretch, so it sounds like my waist measurement will be good, but I will look out a skirt to compare.  Thanks
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 17:00:07 PM »
The skirt hem depends on style but I can tell you from practical experience of C17th re-enactment that if it's below the sticky-out ankle bone the risks are: it gets soggy around the hem, either when walking or when you bend forward and forget what the state the ground is in; you trip over it going upstairs or uphill; you catch the back of the hem with your heel.

My recommendation would be to get it fitting around the waist first and only then decide on the hem length - you don't know how it will hang until you do.  Then try it on with the shoes you intend to wear it with and experiment with the level of the hem.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 19:45:50 PM »
Get the waist fit first then look at the length. For my full length frilly frocks I go to the bottom of the ankle bone . this works with a heel and also with a flat and they don't trail on the ground.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !