The Sewing Place

Pattern step-by-steps

Chirpy

Pattern step-by-steps
« on: September 30, 2019, 17:30:24 PM »
I'm a soft toy and general craft ( mostly sewing) designer and am developing soft toy patterns to sell online. Traditionally, sewing patterns and sewing book projects were accompanied by drawings to help show how to make the items. Drawings were thought to be easier then photos to follow for stitching projects. Nowadays, sewing tutorials are mostly accompanied by photos of the work in progress. I'd love to know what you keen sewers prefer - drawings, photos or a mixture of both? Thanks, Chirpy

UttaRetch

Re: Pattern step-by-steps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 17:32:34 PM »
I would much prefer photos.

doesntworkonwood

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 20:47:12 PM »
Photos using fabric with a clear right and wrong side, not too much distracting patterns and preferably on the lighter end of the colour spectrum.

That might be a bit much to ask. I don't mind drawings but they can get confusing (especially if right and wrong sides aren't marked clearly).

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 22:36:36 PM »
It's nice to have a photo but I find the drawings much more useful. With a photo you can't always see where the seams and other design details are. I am sometimes drawn to a pattern by the photo only to reject it having seen the drawing.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 22:40:27 PM »
Definitely drawings, as long as they're clear and concisely marked.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »
Hmmm, this isn't meant to sound like I'm sitting on the fence but I reckon both are useful in different circumstances. I've seen photos accompanying instructions and I often have to use a magnifying glass under a bright light to ascertain certain pattern pieces. I'm thinking about the time I stitched a darling elephant's leg on upside-down, he didn't like it  :|

As others have said, as long as you give all required info - RS/WS - and anything else to help us on our way then diagrams are adequate.

@Chirpy Which do you prefer?  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:00:04 AM by snoozi soozi »
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
I like diagrams, close up of the difficult bits, and a photo of the finished article to inspire me.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »
I prefer diagrams (subject to the factors mentioned by others) but  they must be accompanied unambiguous instructions.
Life's too short for ironing.

Chirpy

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Most people seem to prefer drawings which I also prefer. I agree that being able to tell the right and wrong side of the fabric apart is important and that can be a problem with photos, also seeing seams clearly. I appreciate your help.