The Sewing Place

Access all Accessories Inaugural Sewalongathon- the Bagathon!

Lilian

Re: Access all Accessories Inaugural Sewalongathon- the Bagathon!
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2019, 17:18:13 PM »
@wrenkins Hi, I have cut up flexible-ish plastic type chopping board.  A long time ago I purchased a set of them in different colours.  I don't use them s they have a grainy finish and don't really work that well for chopping.  They have a rubberized underside and firmer top, it cut quite easily.  I will be put some pics up later so you will see what I mean.

PS the a's don't lways work on my keyboard!
Willing but not always able :)

Lilian

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2019, 19:24:28 PM »
Pics of progress so far:

Ready to sew bottom corners

Ready to sew lining to outer

Old chopping board cut to size to use as base pad

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 19:26:18 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
Thanks @Lilian that's a good idea. So good in fact that I'm pretty sure I suggested it to someone else ages ago. Pity it fell out of my head when I needed it for myself!  0_0
I didn't notice your as.  0_0 0_0 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2019, 14:16:13 PM »
Well, I had a disaster with the knitting bag I was making for my sister’s birthday!  I stupidly used some fusible interfacing that I had picked up at Sewisfaction’s Fabric Swap ( this was a great day otherwise) but there was a lot of this which had been donated and now I understand why! It looked fine when I first applied it but a few hours later when I’d put a zip in and done some machine embroidery it had bobbled pretty badly. It can’t be rescued now I’m too far down the road! 

So, I popped up to Fabricland (should have looked in my stash really
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fabric Lover

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2019, 15:17:45 PM »
Second attempt

Fabric Lover

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2019, 15:59:51 PM »
The pattern I’m making for this one is Ellie Mae designs k118 https://www.sewingcreationsnc.com/shop/Patterns/Miscellaneous/p/Kwik-Sew-Ellie-Mae-Designs-K118-Crafty-Carriers-x19285543.htm

I have managed to put a machine embroidery design on the lining so here’s a sneak preview.

Flobear

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2019, 17:18:27 PM »
Well, I've finally started my bag. Have assembled all the necessaries and cut it out! Getting better with the rotary cutter  :)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2019, 17:26:21 PM »
Almost finished! I’ve added in some toning green fabric which was left over from something else.

Flobear

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2019, 16:46:12 PM »
Finished!

Didn't have any iron-on heavyweight so I sewed round some parts of the pattern to keep interfacing and outer fabric together.

I did have a bit of a practice at freehand thingy but it was too wobbly to be satisfactory. Mind you, having seen some photos  from an exhibition my other-sis-in-Wales attended, I think my 'wobbly' wasn't too desperately awful!

Ellabella

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2019, 19:12:18 PM »
Looks fine to me.  :D

Iminei

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2019, 19:38:50 PM »
That looks fab @FloBear  ... better than mine (I gave up ... Yawn!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
Having to use my Bernina 801 while Pfaff is in for repair, I discovered this unused foot in the kit. Not sure exactly what it's for as I have mislaid the instruction book but seemed to work well for stitch in the ditch.

Greybird

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
Well I have done my bag. I'm afraid I didn't take progress pictures. I got quite demoralised and nearly didn't continue with it at all. I had bought a short leather skirt in a charity shop and I thought it would make what I have wanted for some time - a smallish bag to carry an umbrella, spare pair of shoes etc. that would fold up and go inside another bag if necessary.

When I unpicked it I was horrified - it isn't leather at all, it's PVC. I would have bet anything that I couldn't be fooled by it, but I was. I lost interest for a while, but I needed the bag so, until I can get another one done, here it is. I lined it with furnishing fabric and it has a magnetic catch to keep it closed. It would have looked better if I had interlined it with something quite stiff but then it wouldn't fold up so easily.

I forgot to say,  I used the waistband of the skirt for the strap. A bit tricky because it was slightly curved. I did order some D rings for fastening it, but they took so long to come that I just stitched it on.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:03:02 AM by Greybird »

Ploshkin

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »
@FloBear I think that is a stitch in the ditch foot.  I had a Pfaff one but it got left with my previous Pfaff.  It had that metal guide prong in the middle. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Kenora

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
@FloBear - I have a no. 5 and a no. 10 edge stitch foot with the metal guide down the middle. They're both excellent for SITD. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath