The Sewing Place

Access all Accessories Inaugural Sewalongathon- the Bagathon!

Elnnina

Re: Access all Accessories Inaugural Sewalongathon- the Bagathon!
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
Flobear being a Bernina foot, I would say that it is either the edgestitch foot No.10 for later models, or it is the blind hemmer foot, believe these are the only two feet that have that black piece of metal on them.  However I am not sure if these earlier Bernina feet were numbered, some are on my 830 Record, whilst others are totally blank.  You could find that this will be a very useful foot not only for what you have just stitched but try it for a bit of blind hemming and also using it as an edgestitcher.

On my 830 Record which is a later machine to the 801 the blind stitch foot has a number 016 and this is up just under the part that fits on to the machine,  on the edgestitch foot the number is lower down on the white piece.

Kenora

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
My bag's finished - it's just basic but will be useful for something. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Flobear

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2019, 14:04:33 PM »
@Elnnina It does indeed have 016 on it, and now you say 'blind hem foot' that rings a bell. I have never made a blind thing hem with it!

@Ploshkin I was going to ask you about your 'stitch in the ditch foot' but I figured it would have gone with your Pfaff.

In fact, I think the Bernina will be more use for many aspects of P&Q - assuming that I am forever condemned to abiding in the Dark Side - because she has 5 needle positions and the Pfaff has one.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Elnnina

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2019, 15:18:50 PM »
Flobear regarding blind hemming, it does take a bit of getting used to, but the best thread I have found for using this method is Madeira Monofil No.60 this really is an ultra fine filiment and comes in two colours clear or smoke.  Now do not use the Madeira Monofil No.40 that is far too thick.

I used the No.60 on some Thai silk lining and it is lovely.

Now a very long time ago there was something I think called Perilusta and that is what they were using for blind hemming  and at that time it only came in a thickish thread and was horrible to use.  This new Madeira Monofil is gossamer like and comes on a reel a bit like the Sylko used to come in, and it holds 1000mtrs. (whereas the No.40 reel only holds 500mtrs).

Yes this Madeira is not easy to find, so I doubt very much any local thread place would stock this so it means looking further afield, but as you can see one reel of each is going to last you a very long time.

Incidentally I found that the instruction manual for the 830 Record is really clearly laid out and so easy to follow how to do things.  I have inherited my mothers 830 Record and this is my main go to machine these days as it had not been used too much, like all Berninas they are a joy to sew with, and when this first came to me I added a few extra feet, and one of those was the Edgestitch Foot No.10.  You can probably still get some of the old style feet and if you want to may I recommend using Bernina's own  warehouse down in Cardiff - the ladies there are so very helpful and it is always a quick dispatch, and they will ensure you get the right foot for your particular machine.  The Cardiff warehouse phone number is  029 2079 2079 and two of the ladies down there are Rachel and Jackie - they really do go the extra mile for you.

Also when I inherited my machine, at the time I came across some Sewing Leaflets produced by Bernina possibly for a later machine than my 830 Record, but I scoured various machine shops and the internet looking for these leaflets and have found them extremely useful, they comprised a set of 24 and they are called Bernina Sewing Service and cover all the feet and their uses, there are a few for the overlocker attachments.  Then I came across something else produced by Bernina and these were called Bernina Collection - I do not know how many they produced as I only have a few but again lots of lovely ideas showing you how to use your machine to its full potential.  I just need to find the time to stop and play.

By the way Bernina seem to have had a promotion going on through the year and have been offering foot of the month and often these have been reduced by a fair amount, so it is worth going and looking from time to time to see what they are offering.  www.bernina.com  and this is their own website.

Flobear

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2019, 15:53:36 PM »
@Elnnina How very kind you are to give me all that information about the Bernina. She's certainly not going to be consigned to the outer darkness loft ever again! The much newer Pfaff has some merits but has already had as many niggles in its 5 or so years as Bernina has had in nearly 40!

Bjay

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2019, 16:36:09 PM »
My very ancient Bernina has now been passed on to my daughter.
I did all the hems on the big curtains using it
I now have a Janome (the 2nd one) and although it does lots of things not as 'sturdy' as my old Bernina.
In fact Janome bought a year ago doesn't 'feel 'as good as the one I had for 11years although it has 1/4 inch foot witd foot and so on. I haven't tried blind hemming but it would be an interesting experiment.
Doesn't seem to go over bumps quite as well as the old one either.
Previous Janome is now with DOL (Daughter out law)
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ploshkin

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2019, 17:53:14 PM »
Pfaff has one.
@FloBear  You have a Pfaff Ambition don't you?  Mine had about 20 needle positions for straight stitching.  You just use the + / - stitch width control that you would use to change the width of a zig zag stitch.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2019, 18:21:27 PM »
@FloBear  You have a Pfaff Ambition don't you?  Mine had about 20 needle positions for straight stitching.  You just use the + / - stitch width control that you would use to change the width of a zig zag stitch.

Yes, I do. I had No Idea about the stitch width thing  :o
Thank you.

I think I'm getting a bit Bag Happy. I made a small one this morning to go in my little rucksack and I've just started a medium sized one for another purpose - to be revealed !
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 18:24:07 PM by FloBear »

Stitches

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
My second crossover bag

Greybird

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
Grovelling apologies everyone. Have just re-read the original post and realised that I was not supposed to post finished pictures yet. I can only say that my attention was not properly on it. I do hope it doesn't disqualify me!

Sheilago

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2019, 18:28:13 PM »
I’ll forgive you @Greybird , it’s gorgeous and so professionally made: pvc or not! You’ve saved some plastic from going to landfill, so you can feel very virtuous  when you use it!  :angel:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 17:13:49 PM by Iminei »

Lilian

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2019, 23:20:30 PM »
Beautiful bag @Greybird  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Flobear

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2019, 15:00:44 PM »
I think your bag is brilliant, @Greybird and didn't notice that it was a tad early  ;)

I have nearly finished Littlest Bag but had forgotten just how much I hate sewing on poppers / press fasteners  :angry:  Only two needed but I have now taken them off in disgust and may have to re-think. Or maybe try plastic ones as they're less likely to cut the thread. And I haven't got any. And I am car-less today. Maybe I'll knit instead  :[

Vezelay

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2019, 18:10:14 PM »
A quick Bagathon update. Thought I'd get a few different bags made before the deadline but the weekend's booked up and my bro's arriving Monday so I'm running out of time.

One made and a second majorly unpicked because I sewed the inside pocket piece in upside down.  :'(  Careless!! But I'll finish it and post them both Monday morning - that's the plan. Nothing spectacular but they should come in handy for gifts.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has made and pinching ideas  :).

Lilian

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2019, 22:44:39 PM »
I have finished my one bag and followed the tut @Sheilago did  :)
Willing but not always able :)