The Sewing Place

Lidl overlockers

Kidneydish

Re: Lidl overlockers
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 13:48:10 PM »
Thanks all - I'm going to go Juki when I've got my refund.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 17:59:19 PM »
Thanks all - I'm going to go Juki when I've got my refund.

What did you buy in the end?
I’ve just sold my Lidl Singer (still working ok) and bought a basic model Brother Overlocker.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 14:32:15 PM »
 :thinking: I recently bought a Singer here in Canada and curious as to what model you're all speaking about.

SkoutSews

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 15:35:07 PM »
@HooliganHeart my Lidl overlocker was a Singer 14SH754. It was my first try with an overlocker and it was a good entry-level machine at £99.

After 5 or 6 years I decided to upgrade, sold it on gumtree and bought a Juki MO 654DE.

jintie

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 18:12:15 PM »
My (expensive at the time, about 15 years ago) Bernina 1300DC overlocker, is a Juki. I found this out when I looked for an online demo to change it to coverstitch.
They were just labelled differently.
For the record, it is a Rolls Royce machine for overlocking, but a complete b*&^s d to change over!
Rottweiler with scissors

HooliganHeart

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 06:04:31 AM »
@HooliganHeart my Lidl overlocker was a Singer 14SH754. It was my first try with an overlocker and it was a good entry-level machine at £99.

After 5 or 6 years I decided to upgrade, sold it on gumtree and bought a Juki MO 654DE.

Much thanks, I recently got the 14CG744 model and I'll be happy if I get 5yrs out of it  :thumbsup: Not as scary as I thought these over lockers. Again, thanks.

Celia

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
My (expensive at the time, about 15 years ago) Bernina 1300DC overlocker, is a Juki. I found this out when I looked for an online demo to change it to coverstitch.
They were just labelled differently.
For the record, it is a Rolls Royce machine for overlocking, but a complete b*&^s d to change over!

I agree it is probably the worse one I have come across to change over, I eventually sold mine and now have a baby lock but I did buy the Bernina 1150 which is the overlocker only equivalent of the 1300 and I still love it especially for rolled hems.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
I've had the Lidl overlocker for some time now, and I'm happy with it.  I bought it so that I could leave my O/L=Coverstitch machine set up, and it's done the job.

Yes it's a bit basic, but I don't want to do anything fancy with it, and it produces a good stitch. It also isn't fussy about thread.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
As someone who has given or attempted to give lessons on these things I would advise anyone to leave them alone.  If you’re lucky they work.   However,  many of them I got my hands on would not sew a decent stitch regardless of what I did to it.  Many of the people I saw actually ended up taking them back and getting a refund.   More trouble than they’re worth.
Same here.  My heart sinks when someone brings one in to class,  by that time frustrated and upset, you know the rest. 
Not just the Lidl machines - the economy model Singers and other similar builds.  The users spend more time trying to get an acceptable stitch than using it on the real thing.
It's not nice to see their hopes of nice, tidy finishes and sewing lovely knit fabric outfits for their kids, wither away when they get a less than decent result.

Morgan

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
I agree it is probably the worse one I have come across to change over, I eventually sold mine and now have a baby lock but I did buy the Bernina 1150 which is the overlocker only equivalent of the 1300 and I still love it especially for rolled hems.
Ditto, although now I'd buy the Juki Models before the Babylock or Bernina 1150.  The Jukis were not available when I got mine after selling the1300.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 20:18:25 PM »
Just an update on my Singer 14CG744 Overlocker which has been used almost daily for the last 3 months or so.

My only complaints so far with it;
1. Vibrates and moves around on table surface when run at full speed. At ½ to ¾ speed, it's fine.
2. Really noisy in my opinion but to be expected with the plastic body and price point.
3. Talking of plastic...attracts a lot of static electricity  :rant:

Also the free arm is quite useless to be honest but do i really need it...i think not.

:thinking: I'll run this until it breaks then most likely replace with a vintage Industrial machine.

I would still recommend the machine at the price  :thumbsup: