The Sewing Place

Lidl overlockers

Lincoln hobbit

Lidl overlockers
« on: October 03, 2019, 17:09:55 PM »
Lidl has some Singer overlockers for £129. I've heard good reports from a friend who has bought one before. Just thought someone might be interested.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Lidl overlockers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 17:29:18 PM »
As someone who has given or attempted to give lessons on these things I would advise anyone to leave them alone.  If you’re lucky they work.   However,  many of them I got my hands on would not sew a decent stitch regardless of what I did to it.  Many of the people I saw actually ended up taking them back and getting a refund.   More trouble than they’re worth.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 17:32:41 PM »
I got one and I'm happy with it, although I did take the first one back.  It is a second machine though and doesn't get a lot of use.

Lidl were very good about refunding the first one.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 22:53:50 PM »
A friend who sews for a living said it didn't hold up to frequent use and ended up replacing it.  I agree with @Francesca that it's fine for a beginner to use as a learning curve but IMO a better quality one will give more value for money in the longer term

Kidneydish

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 14:17:20 PM »
I have wanted an overlocker for ages but couldn't justify the spend for a machine so was super pleased at a machine for the price. When I went to thread it the machine made a horrible noise and wouldn't play at all. I rang Lidl who told me that Singer had to replace it. However, Singer told me that they only did repairs. Which was fine by me. Their service was fantastic. I rang them on Monday the machine was collected on Tuesday and returned to me on Friday in full working order.

So far so good. This is perfect for me to see how much I am going to use it before investing in a better quality machine and have have booked onto an overlocker class to learn more.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 14:24:33 PM »
Sounds like Lidl were passing the buck.  Your contract was with them and they should have dealt with it for you.  But it’s done and working now so that’s all good.  If you have got it to make a decent stitch then you’re lucky.  Have fun playing with it. 

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 15:53:29 PM »
That seems to be Lidl policy now. Himself took a faulty brand new electric saw straight back to them and because they'd none left they wanted him to send it off to the manufacturers "for repair". After making a fuss and refusing to take no for an answer he got a refund. No saw though.

You can buy an entry level Brother or Janome overlocker for under £200 so I know those are what I'd suggest if someone asked me. I've kind of "outgrown" mine now so maybe next year I'll get something fancier...

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 13:20:54 PM »
Lost post again - grrrrr.  haven't time to write it again - essence of my advice is -

Don't, please don't.  Buy a better quality model second hand with the money instead if budget is an issue. 

Shelley

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 07:50:00 AM »
I bought one a few years ago and it was awful.  I ended up getting a second hand bernina on Ebay and it is fantastic! My advice is don't waste your money.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 13:42:46 PM »
I’ve had mine for a couple of years and it works fine for what I need. I’m sure I’ll upgrade and get a better one in time but there are no sewing shops nearby so buying secondhand is just as risky.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 14:08:01 PM »
As I posted elsewhere a few days ago, there was an overlocker session last Tuesday at the sewing group I have just started going to. Three of the other ladies had new overlockers they ad recently bought at Lidl's. I said nothing!
Two of them were fine and actually stitched better than mine, The third one though was completely locked up - the handwheel wouldn't move at all. The owner left early to return it to Lidl's.

Kidneydish

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 13:15:36 PM »
I take it back, the bloomin (far politer than the word I want to type) thing has gone wrong again and will only work in the rolled hem mode. It's going back!! wish me luck with my refund especially at this time of year. Recommendations gratefully received, I want to be able to grow with my machine as I now know I am going to get loads of use out of it.  I have a Juki sewing machine that I love.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 13:53:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that but this is what I have come across with Lidl Overlockers, I hope you don’t have a problem getting refund

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 14:13:59 PM »
You should be okay getting a refund.  With all the people I’ve told to return them I’ve never had anyone say they had a problem.  If you don’t have a lot of money to spend then look at a Janome or Brother.  I would say second hand but you don’t get a lot of those.

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 16:26:24 PM »
My first overlocker was a Singer from Lidl and I was one of the lucky ones, it served me very well and was a good entry-level machine. I upgraded a year ago to the Juki MO 654DE and it's great. I think of it as the Mighty Midget! I got a show discount at the time. If you're patient there could be some deals in the New Year.