The Sewing Place

Help please- tunnelled waistband anyone

jintie

Help please- tunnelled waistband anyone
« on: October 04, 2019, 15:04:13 PM »
This is a tailor trouser waistband,  with a flat front and an adjustable elastic back. The elastic is not sewn in- it is covered. It comes out at side slits and the ends are covered by pieces of the fabric. The elastic has a buttonhole at each side. The front has two buttons at each side, depending on how big a dinner the gentleman had eaten!
I suppose I can figure this out for myself, but does anyone know an easy way?
Rottweiler with scissors

toileandtrouble

Re: Help please- tunnelled waistband anyone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 15:38:05 PM »
Are you saying you want to make one?
 Firstly, the waistband has to start out at the largest required size.
I would not have the buttonholes in the elastic, but in the fabric at the ends, with the elastic always hidden inside the back waistband. Then all that is visible is the button/ buttons on each side.  I would make a normal waistband, but have the outer fabric in three parts with the centre section overlapping the side ones. It must not be too stiffened to gather up slightly when pulled in.  Stitch down the ends of the side sections to the backing so they do not catch on the moving sections.  perhaps line the middle section so that there are no ends to catch there either. For the middle, make interfaced strips of the main fabric, slightly narrower than the main waistband and tapered at the buttonhole ends, long enough to be hidden when on the tighter setting,  sew them on to a length  of elastic of a matching width. Thread through the 'tunnel'.
I hope this makes sense.  Much easier to make than to describe!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m