The Sewing Place

I need advice on larger projects.

Sara-S

I need advice on larger projects.
« on: October 04, 2019, 15:58:50 PM »
I am relatively new to sewing and quilting.  Up until recently, I have only worked on smaller items, such as placemats and mug rugs.

My last project, the tale runner, was the first thing I hav made that is (in any dimension) bigger than I am.  I struggled to keep seams and topstitching straight. I will be starting the larger part of the quillow, which will be 4 x 6 feet.  I could use some suggestions for handling larger items.  Thanks.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Acorn

Re: I need advice on larger projects.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 16:13:32 PM »
I am intending to try Quilt-As-You-Go for my next full sized quilt.  I quilted my quillow (72"x84") in one piece, and it was not fun.

Iminei made a tutorial for joining QAYG blocks using strips, which is here

My next quilt will be for my baby goddaughter though, and will be a nicely manageable 4ft(ish) square.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 17:03:20 PM »
When working on a larger item, keep it level on a surface around your sewing machine. If it overhangs the edge of the sewing table it will drag the quilt from the needle and be a tricky beast to control.

Bjay

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 18:36:52 PM »
You need to ensure the weight is balanced - on my enormous quilt (don't ask) I used an ironing board to take some of the surplus weight - set  at same height as the table
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 19:16:40 PM »
@Sara-S Why not go to the library and get a book on quilting that covers the basics and have a read. Are you the only quilter at your sewing group? If so, find a local group and ask for help - you'll probably get it in spades! - or consult the nearest quilt shop where you can get advice and which may offer classes too.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 19:21:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten much help from books and don’t have a local quilt shop.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 21:16:23 PM »
I am in a similar position to Sara-S. No local quilt groups, very little experience. I have done a couple of double quilts and, aside from the fact that my machine quilting is rubbish in the first place, I found it near impossible to drag the quilt around, as well as it bunching up in the neck of the machine. I swore I would never do another full size one...now I am reaching the stage of quilting - a queen size! I know, my own fault...it just grew and grew...it was going to be a lap quilt.  -< Dunno what happened. In any case, I am getting so het up about it, that I think I may quilt it by hand. May take forever, but at least it will look decent!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 22:41:51 PM »
The point of Quilt As You Go is to avoid quilting in right in the centre of a large quilt and having to cram acres of fabric and wadding through the limited harp space, but whichever method you use (there are several) you will at some point end up with the whole thing at the machine, just not sewing in the middle of it.

As others have said, you need plenty of uncluttered space around the machine, to the left and behind, with support for the quilt so that it doesn't drag.  I personally find that wearing machiner's gloves with grippy fingertips helps me to control the fabric, and also helps protect my delicate nails 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 23:38:29 PM »
As others have said...a large area to support the quilt and machingers are a great help. Thorough basting, by whichever method you prefer also makes handling and stuffing the quilt much easier. Mr.Ruby made me a large table with a drop-in for my machines...perhaps you know a handy person who could help you do similar?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 02:15:15 AM »
I hand quilt. I do Big Stitch quilting using Perle or embroidery thread. As long as your stitches are an even length they can be any size you like.
However you quilt, always start in the middle and work outwards ( like tiling )  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »
Think about the design you are planning too.  The biggest quilt I've done I quilted with parallel diagonal lines.  Although there's a point when you have a lot of bulk going through the machine it is less at the beginning and end of each line.  I've also done chevron, starting each line of quilting from the middle point of the V and working outwards.  Again, there is bulk at the beginning but it reduces as you stitch the line.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
@rubywishes - now I covet your table, that is awesome. The irony of it all is that husband could do that - it is where we would put it that poses the problem. On the other hand, son #1 is threatening to move out and become independent...his bedroom has the best light in the house...see where I am going here?
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Bjay

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
When I was battling with my big quilts I saw on Youtube how you roll up the quilt so it goes under the machine  You can then machine quilt in sections. Not a very clear explanation - sorry
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Rolling is fine if you are quilting straight lines but the roll is stiff and immovable if you are going any other way.  It's often easier to just stuff and pull the quilt through the harp space.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 22:05:11 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 13:05:13 PM »
My machine is on a narrow table which backs on to a wall and sides onto a cupboard one way and a door the other. Really wedged in  :\  It's difficult for me to piece large blocks but fortunately I only hand quilt  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D