The Sewing Place

Ironing in style

Elnnina

Re: Ironing in style
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
With regard to an ironing board for a steam generator iron, it is necessary to have a mesh board, however if you are sitting down to do the ironing and using a lot of steam, make sure your knees are out of the way - I gave myself a nasty scald from the steam and it took a very long time  heal.

annieeg

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 14:20:40 PM »
@Elnnina
Thanks for your very informative answer. :thread:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 18:44:29 PM »
Ooh very good point @Elnnina - I have a steam generator iron on an extra large Minky board I bought in a sale at Sainsburys but usually stand up to use it. It is indeed mesh under the covers (great for pinning through btw) so I can imagine could be possible to scald oneself with knees under it. Ouch

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 18:05:10 PM »
Well the ironing board has arrived, and stored upstairs safely without prying eyes seeing it.  Touch and go mind you, it arrived at 3.20 instead of before 2.45 (latest time in the delivery slot).  I was in the hall with my coffee playing with new kitten, (I also had the inner door open so it didn't buzz when opened).  I thought he'd finished his coffee early and gone back to the garage to finish something he was making off.  He hadn't and when I eventually went into the kitchen after delivery many had gone he was stood washing his cup.

All I can say is thank goodness he is deaf, and won't wear his hearing aid at home during the the daytime because it uses too many batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 18:50:35 PM »
Bit of a beggar though when the highlight of the week is a new ironing board, I really ought to go out more.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 19:51:03 PM »
I looked at the board and the price.

Treated my existing board to a new cover and bought a new sleeve board.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
I looked at the board and the price.

Treated my existing board to a new cover and bought a new sleeve board.

That's what will happen next time @Sewingsue.  If it hadn't been for the dodgy iron rest and the legs that didn't lock I wouldn't have bought new just for sewing.

Mind you, I have to say that the little Leifheit table top one I used before has been absolutely brilliant for little jobs.