The Sewing Place

Flower fairies

Greybird

Re: Flower fairies
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 22:40:36 PM »
The Flower Fairy books are on the shelf a few feet behind me right now. I bought them, along with Beatrix Potter and Winnie the Pooh, for when my grandchildren visited. They are a bit old for them now I'm afraid.

The Flower Fairies, when I was young, were the beginning of my learning about plants. By the time I was about 8 I knew what most wildflowers, trees and weeds were called and where they grew.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »
@Greybird , I have a full set of Flower Fairy china plates somewhere - bought when dusting was an Olympic sport, put away when I realised that life is far too short!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

rubywishes

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:20 AM »
Very pretty...lovely work  0_0  I've heard of the flower fairies but never realised there was a poem/verses to them. @Greybird I also bought Beatrix Potter, A.A.Milne and Charlottes Web to read to my grandchildren. Sadly, neither of them showed any interest in the stories and verses and eventually I gave up. :(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
@rubywishes - I have to say that the Flower Fairies weren't all that popular either, but of the others I had to read, time and time again, The Tales of Squirrel Nutkin and Mrs Tittlemouse, Piglet is entirely Surrounded by Water and An Expotition to the North Pole.

When I asked my grandson why he liked Mrs Tittlemouse so much, he said "because she's always sweeping and cleaning". I said that so was his Mummy.
"No" he said, "she just wipes herself"!

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 16:45:00 PM »
@Stitches  there are two different quilts there - or is it one double sided quilt.
They are both lovely but I prefer the second one.

Thats interesting Brenda as,  as far as I can see, its two pics of the same pic (if you see what I mean ... a double whammy in the pic department) ... So whats so what makes the second pic better ????  :P   ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 17:30:17 PM »
I've never heard of the flower fairies,but can testify that the quilt is a work of art

Same here, but it’s stil a stunning quilt.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 17:35:06 PM »
Look here:

https://flowerfairies.com/

When I was 7 my parents made me a costume based on the Scentless Mayweed fairy for the Coronation fancy dress party in our street. I won 1st prize.

Stitches

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 18:09:01 PM »
@Brenda have just altered the first photo I put the wrong one one that one was one I found for inspiration.
I had never heard of the Flower Fairies but my daughter loves them