The Sewing Place

Burda 2019 Autumn/Winter patterns

UttaRetch

Burda 2019 Autumn/Winter patterns
« on: October 07, 2019, 15:49:23 PM »
See them here.   There is quite a lot that I actully like, but 'Satan's own pattern' has put me off Burda for life.

Catllar

Re: Burda 2019 Autumn/Winter patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 16:53:34 PM »
I like Burda styling but the fit is another thing entirely!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 18:34:58 PM »
Nothing I like  :(
Thank you @UttaRetch for the links, we've missed you.

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 19:27:15 PM »
I already bought 6297!https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/new-season-burda/products/sewing-pattern-bd6291

I have some maroon wool with a black check, it's going to be the longer length but the classic waistband. I did miniskirts in the 60's and, not going there again; I think workmen would be begging me to cover my knees not wolfwhistling.

Nothing else really appeals, why are the dresses in such bleh colours? 
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 20:26:00 PM »
Thanks @UttaRetch. I have a number of Burda mags and some of those designs look familiar. Of course, they have to be traced and seam allowances added from the magazine, so for a pattern with a lot of pieces that's a pain. You must have been unlucky UttaRetch, I've always found them well drafted and they go together easily. The children's ones fit my tall slim GD much better than Simplicity etc which are too wide. Though some are a bit weird, rather Oktoberfest.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 21:03:45 PM »
I already have Burda 6294 & 6249. Bought them beginning of August. Not made them up yet but happy with the designs.

lizzy

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 22:31:16 PM »
I like the very first one - the jacket.  In fact I have some fabric that might work for it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 23:52:55 PM »
I like the very first one - the jacket.  In fact I have some fabric that might work for it.

Me too! I don't have quite the right fabric but there's always more in the online stores  :)

Can't believe I've never looked at Burda before - so cheap compared to the big 4 and the indie patterns I generally buy. What's the issue you've had with fit @Catllar ?

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 07:15:56 AM »
I'll probably get the knit jacket 6273.  I have so much ponte etc in Le Stash which needs using up.  I'm interested to know what the fit problems are, too, @Catllar  , I find Burda much the best company for fit for me.  And consistent. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:26 AM »
@Lachica: yes, some of the magazine styles do appear as envelope patterns.  My problem with Burda is the sketchy instructions.  You need to be an experienced seamstress to recognise the steps that have been missed.  At the time of my aborted jacket, I didn't have the knowledge.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 10:57:51 AM »
I'll probably get the knit jacket 6273.  I have so much ponte etc in Le Stash which needs using up.  I'm interested to know what the fit problems are, too, @Catllar  , I find Burda much the best company for fit for me.  And consistent.

I find them too narrow across the back and pants too short in the crotch. Mind you as I usually draft my own stuff I might be totally  out of line with the general opinions. I bought a few from one of the Summer collections a couple of years back and by the time I'd finished faffing about with them to fit I might just as well have started from scratch. I do like the designs though.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 13:30:33 PM »
I find them too narrow across the back and pants too short in the crotch.

I like them because they are narrow in the back and so I don't have to make the adjustment (not that it's a problem to do, just nice not to have to).  I do have the same problem with the crotch length but find that's par for the course for me anyway.  I like their styling too.

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 13:40:25 PM »
Ah, @UttaRetch, I can understand that. A jacket's not the easiest for a beginner but you're much more experienced now. The magazine gives wordy instructions and I imagine they're translated from German so sometimes they can be baffling as there are no diagrams to help. I made a long jacket from an envelope Burda pattern & was very impressed at how easy it was, especially the collar, where the under collar was a separate piece to allow for 'turn of the cloth', my jacket collar sits beautifully.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 13:46:31 PM »
I made B6320 earlier this year - my first experience of a non-magazine Burda. It went together really well and I was very pleased with it. It's true the instructions were a bit lacking in detail but it wasn't too hard to work out what was needed. I shall use them again.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 23:00:51 PM »
I like the first one the jacket as has been said earlier. View A the longer line, https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/new-season-burda/products/sewing-pattern-bd6249

Only had one experience of a Burda pattern, it wasn’t great but I like this enough to give it another go.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)