The Sewing Place

Lil Rosebud TopDownDress/Tunic

b15erk

Lil Rosebud TopDownDress/Tunic
« on: October 09, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »
I bought this pattern before I realised that I could get it free >:), but I would really like to knit it for DGD whose new baby is due soon.

Lil Rosebud

I've got the yarn and ordered the needles, but I have a few queries about the pattern before we start.

At the very start, there is an abbreviation which isn't listed:

1st round - Knit to marker, sm.
2nd round - Purl to marker, sm.
3rd round - Knit to marker, sm.

I have no idea what the sm stands for.  Any ideas anyone?
Also, does this mean that the dress is started as a straight knit ie to and fro, rather than in the round?

On the marketing it is listed as an easy knit, but the pattern itself is intermediate, so I may be out of my comfort zone here.

Have any of you peeps used this pattern before, and if you did, could you please flag up anything else I need to know?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

Re: Lil Rosebud TopDownDress/Tunic
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
Never used the pattern Jessie, but sm simply means Slip Marker. 0_0

I usually have small loops of a contrast yarn in a slip knot.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:50:44 AM by Ellabella »

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »

Also, does this mean that the dress is started as a straight knit ie to and fro, rather than in the round?

No, it is knitted in the round, but you change from knit to purl each time you reach the marker.

If you knit all knit in the round you get stocking stitch, because you're never turning the work around, so all the loops go down on the same side.  Therefore, to get garter stitch, as in the picture, you need to alternate between knit and purl.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
Girls, @Acorn and @Ellabella , what a numpty.  Of course sm means slip marker, why would I not know that?  :|  And of course it's done in the round, (thanks Acorn) it says so...  :S  Must pay attention when reading...

I guess I was hoping there would be a slit at the top for a button, which would make it easier to start off.

Do either of you remember a technique where you start your circle with a couple of rows knitted in spare yarn, to save stretching the stitches?  I vaguely remember it from my last circular venture, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  I thought it was a provisional cast on, but that seems to be something different.

I don't knit a lot, and have long gaps in my knitting, so I should really make notes, but I always think I'll remember stuff.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Why are you stretching your stitches?

If it's because you are working with just one circular needle then it's too long if you have to stretch the stitches.  Either use two circs, 3+1 double points, 4+1 double points, or use a very long circular and have a loop pulled out between the stitches.  My personal preference is 3+1 dpns.

For stitch markers I like the polo rings used on bra straps (the smaller the better) because they are smooth and don't catch on anything.  I can't be doing with fancy dangly markers.  If you use thread make sure it's a smooth, firmly twisted crochet type cotton and not a regular kitting yarn that could get knitted into the work.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
I use the little rings that come with my electric toothbrush refills.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
I use jump rings from my jewellery making days.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 13:29:31 PM »
@BrendaP Sorry to be so long getting back to you, I've just come back from the eye hospital.  The circular needle problem is more to do with my tight casting on than anything else, and last time I did it, I came across a technique where you do a few rows of knitting in scrap yarn - not even joining it for a few rows, just to get the tension, and the stitch flow correct.  What I can't remember is, how you get rid of it!  I struggle with Magic Loop as I hate the way the stitches seem to pull apart at the middle, and dpns just slip through my fingers...

I didn't know about using 2  circular needles, that could possibly help, I'll look into it, thank you.

@wrenkins  good idea, but I've never made jewelry, and @toileandtrouble , I still use a manual toothbrush... :|

I haven't been able to find a tutorial for this pattern, but how hard can it be?  :S :S

Jessie

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 16:44:01 PM »
Jessie, in machine knitting knitting a few rows in scrap yarn is just that, and to separate this from the real yarn we use something called a nylon cord, you just knit a row with this nylon cord and when that row is complete just start knitting with your garment yarn and whenever you are ready pull the cord out and the scrap yarn drops away.  Now because you are hand knitting I presume you are going to have to cast on again after the row with a nylon cord otherwise you will have raw open stitches unless a hem is being created.

This nylon cord is brilliant, usually came in white but you could also sometimes get some pastel colours.  Do you have any places that still sell machine knitting equipment near you?  Otherwise it means a mail order unless anyone on here has a spare nylon cord.  Metropolitan in Nantwich Cheshire  is a huge machine knitting place.  Whilst I have plenty of cords I cannot even get to them without emptying my room of sewing cabinets, boxes and boxes of fabrics, patterns etc.  On top of my knitting cabinet I have two very long and heavy boxes stuffed full of paper stuff all related sewing items, I don't even think I could lift the box.  So fingers crossed someone on here has a spare one that you could have.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 16:58:27 PM »
I second what Elnnina says, but if you can't get a nylon cord, carefully press the waste yarn and the first row of proper stitches only (you might want to do a trial run with this first but it isn't too difficult). Then, by snipping the sides of the waste yarn, row by row, you should be able to unravel upwards to the pressed row of stitches. Because you have pressed them they won't unravel uncontrollably and you can pick them up onto a needle to do with what you will.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 18:19:04 PM »
The technique also works if you use a fine, slippery yarn as the single, pull-out row. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
I'll throw this one in then go and hide .... you can use any length cable with  'magic loop'  once you've got the technique it's simple and especially good for garments where the number of stitches changes.
I posted a written tutorial way back on this board that was the one that made sense to me (I couldn't work out the you tube stuff)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:46:39 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
@Ploshkin I've really struggled with Magic Loop - I think it's something to do with my knitting style (I don't have one!  ;))

I'll give it another try, but it's like learning to knit fog...

@Elnnina , @Greybird , @Kenora Thank you all for this, I will have a look at some videos to jog my non-existent memory!

I have a feeling though, that I may be mixing a few things up in my head, and that the technique is used for a Tubular/Invisible cast on.

I should really stick to sewing... :S

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
Well, I just couldn't wait could I?

New needles were waiting on the mat when I got home, and I just had to have a go.  Had to read the pattern from my phone as I'd left the printed copy at work, so that was a pain.

As expected, the casting on, and first row was a right royal pia, but 4th time lucky all went well.

I'd bought short circulars, but they weren't quite short enough for my tight casting on, so I had to adjust my tension.

The pattern seems very straightforward, and knits quickly, although I have made some changes.  I'm not keen on DK for babies, so I'm using a 4ply, and smaller needles - this is maybe why the first row was tight.

Popping in to town now, and may have a look at what circular needles they have.

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
Now you've mastered magic loop  :) you may want to consider interchangeable needles.  I got a set and haven't used anything else since.  They're great for circular knitting and you can pick the cable length you want to use but I use them fir all my 2 way knitting too.  I have very painful hands and wrists sometimes but I can knit because the weight of the knitting is in my lap and I'm not holding it on long needles.
I got a set of Knitpro Symphonie wooden needles and they are just brilliant.
These are them
Life's too short for ironing.