The Sewing Place

Lil Rosebud TopDownDress/Tunic

toileandtrouble

Re: Lil Rosebud TopDownDress/Tunic
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »
@b15erk have you tried casting on with larger needles and switching to the proper size on the later rounds?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »
Well, after all my panicking, this has been a really lovely, easy pattern to knit.  I would highly recommend it.  It is a line by line pattern, so you know exactly where you are up to.  There is a cardigan pattern by the same designer which I will be buying.

The circular knitting was easy as well, no need to change needles, or use MagicLoop, the whole piece fitted on 40cm circular needles.

The only change I made was to use a smaller needle, and 4 ply yarn, and to do this, I went up a size.

It's looking good, and I'm hoping to have it finished tomorrow.

Oh, and the best bit? No sewing up, just a little weaving in.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »
@Ploshkin , I have a set of interchangeable KnitPro circulars, but after our recent upheavals, I just can't find them.  They are in a safe place, but it's so safe that I haven't yet found it...

I ordered a couple of short circulars last week, and they have worked well, but I've just ordered a couple of sets of interchangeable ones as I am determined to do more circular knitting - far less sewing up!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 20:45:10 PM »
There are a few things that don't really work in the round.

I am working this which is a paid for pattern and the instructions clearly said to work thhe main part to the underarms and cast off stitches under each sleeve, then put aside, then:
Sleeves:
Work in the round on double pointed needles.

which I did.  Then
Yoke:
Slip sleeves on to the same circular needle size 2½ mm as body, where armholes were bound off

It's impossible to get the straight part of a circular needle around the small diameter sleeve.  :angry: Other than re-knitting the sleeves flat the only way was to work the first few rows of the yoke on half a dozen straight DPNs making sure that there was a change of needle in the middle of each sleeve.

I also found that the fairisle pattern for the size I'm making (0-3 months) didn't work out, there would have been a half star on one side, so I had to fiddle with the number of decreases to get it right.  Not impressed, but I like the general design.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 20:53:27 PM »
Beautifully knitted @BrendaP<3 I used to love making that type of yoked design in the days when I could still knit. Keeps the brain cells moving although it would be nice if the designers got the pattern details right in the first place.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
@BrendaP  that cardigan is really lovely!  I love your colours, and the contrasting button band.  I watch Arne and Carlos, and they make it look very easy, but when I do it, it's like I have 3 thumbs!

I wish I could do colourwork, but I get in a terrible muddle. I am though thinking of brushing up my cable skills.

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
When I did a Fairisle, many lives ago, I had to sit in a big space with all the colours spread out around me.  I've only ever done one.
That cardigan is gorgeous Brenda, I live the colours.  I agree about sleeves in the round, I've done it a couple of times and I can't remember exactly why but it was a bit of a stretch even with the short needles.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:01:52 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.